Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've booked an exam so that I can get my youngest neutered. I'd personally, don't like owning neutered dogs, I don't want the trouble or hassle of keeping one and honestly don't think unless a dog has medical issues or is being shown (also retired showdog who is now being used to enhance the breed) should keep his man tumors. So he's got his brain surgery date.

I told my father that I had booked an appointment to get it done.

Me: I'm bringing Boone to the vet tomorrow for an exam.
Him: What for? His shots?
Me: No, to get neutered.
Him: Is it free?
Me: No, why would it be?
Him: Is Boone a female?
Me: Umm, no...
Him: Then why bother? You know how much that is going to cost? If Boone is a male, just leave him alone and don't bother with it.

At this point I left the room, there is no reasoning with him. Hontestly, leave him alone? No, I don't want an intact dog, don't want the risk of him getting loose and breeding, don't want to have to pay for the pregnant dog's vet bills (which if my dog got loose and bred someone else's dog that was in their yard I'd feel I had to), don't want to pay the extra for licencing and so on.

Then the other day while walking my dogs I had this women come up to me, which is odd as Boone is muzzled in public and people rarely come up. She started some small talk about Boone, completely ignoring Drifter. Then she stated how I should breed Boone because I could make alot of money breeding and selling Mini German Shepherds.

Completely caught me off guard.

#1 He's not a purebred so his future holds brain surgery as no one should breed mixed breeds.
#2 Even if he were purebred he'd still be getting brain surgery because he has behavior problems and unknown pedigree health issues.
#3 There is no such thing as a Mini German Shepherd, and I won't be the jerk that used that ploy just to slap on a few $$ more to some poor unknowing people.

She left in a huff. Are there really people out there like this still? Even in my own family?

Sorry that my first post was a bit of a rant. Just had to get it out of my system and usually other people have had the same issues and its nice to share it and not be alone. lol

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That is kind of rude of those people. I think telling someone not to neuter their dog is just as rude as telling some to neuter their dog. People need to mind their own business. Now don't get me wrong, it is ok to make suggestions to others, in a reasonable fashion for legit reasons. In a helpful manner of course. Neutering is a personal decision and if the owner has chosen to do so it is up to them, they are the one CARING for that dog and they are the one PAYING the vet so it isn't anyone's concern but theirs.

I chose not to neuter mine. They are nothing but great dogs and I like them just fine as they are. I won't put them through an unneeded surgery just because. I've no need to do it but others have their reasons for doing it. I am however responsible if needed, like anything else. If their is a medical reason then I will certainly neuter them. Just the same I would never tell someone to not neuter and breed their pet quality dog. Promoting them to be irresponsible. That is ridiculous. Just as it is my choice not it is another person's choice to do it.

Just curious. If you don't like owning neutered dogs do you do it to prevent unwanted litters in case of accident?

·
Registered
187 Posts
What silly poeple, I also don't like having unneutered dogs, as there is a risk that the dogs could breed, and that don't need to happen with the amount of dogs that are in need of homes.

On another note I'm sure though that I know you from another site. I reconise the names and the pic of Boone, although I haven't heard from you for a while, anyway how are you all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opps sorry Spice that was supposed to say "I don't like owning unneutered dogs". Little typo there probably many more in there to as I was in a bit of a huff when I wrote it.

I was Lilac on DF :) Chaz. I still lurk there but don't post anymore, I've had a few nasty PM scuffles with some members over things that I had said were my opinion and the way I was dealing with Drifter's and Boone's issues. So I decided to just not post there anymore, wasn't worth my time and frustration. I do keep in touch with a person or two still like War. Both are doing well, Drifter is still having his seizures but not frequently and are usually pretty short though he has started to wet himself when he has them now. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is an old saying that comes to mind reading your post. "it is one thing to be thought a fool, another to open your mouth and prove it". I think this may apply with these you mention.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Opps sorry Spice that was supposed to say "I don't like owning unneutered dogs". Little typo there probably many more in there to as I was in a bit of a huff when I wrote it.

I was Lilac on DF :) Chaz. I still lurk there but don't post anymore, I've had a few nasty PM scuffles with some members over things that I had said were my opinion and the way I was dealing with Drifter's and Boone's issues. So I decided to just not post there anymore, wasn't worth my time and frustration. I do keep in touch with a person or two still like War. Both are doing well, Drifter is still having his seizures but not frequently and are usually pretty short though he has started to wet himself when he has them now. :(

how funny...we should start up a club. DFers scorned ;) I was told I didn't love my dogs for not loosing my house to pay for an MRI and an iffy back surgery on an old dog (which probably would have not survived) and opted to have him euthanized. So I get it what you mean.

On another note.

I have dogs with birth defects (obvious ones) and people still aproach me about breeding. I have a dog that is ancient and a lady said it was "a shame" she was spayed because she'd like her male to make puppies. This ancient dog also has a visible birth defect.

people are morons when it comes to dogs som' times.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good for you, Im glad you are looking into it. Sick to death of unwanted pups being all over the place then they end up with a death sentence when they cant get sold. Worse is seeing ppl just crossing the breeds just for the sake of money, idiots :eyeroll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts