Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chose to separate from the GF a month ago, she moved out and of course, the Pin is her dog. Wanted amicable separation so I can have access to him, but that's a foregone conclusion now. Ripped the heart out of me when she did that...

It's time to get another dog - or two. I swore off dog ownership 9 years ago when I lost my 3 year old furry soul mate to poisoning. Still not over her, still want to strangle the vet that treated her incorrectly. For me, it's been everyone else's dogs since then.

I want another Miniature Pinscher, lovely dogs, and suit me. But rescues are rare to non existant around these parts. Rescue or adoption would be my first choice, have many eyes looking, but nothing.

There is a litter of pure bred MinPin pups coming up available in mid October, registered with AKC, vetted, vaxxed and guaranteed for $1200 each. I don't mind paying it, but we're coming into winter here, already having frost and in a month I figure winter will be full force. Not a great time to have an 8 week old Pin from a housebreaking and socialize side of things. Would love to be able to get it outdoors but alas. I do live in a condo complex, used to run Jagger up and down the hallways and stairs for exercise over the cold winter days and there's a treadmill downstairs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry about the situation you are in with the GF and your dog. So sad. I hope you find a Min Pin soon that is the perfect fit for you. I would be lost without my Min Pin Harley. She is everything to me. I have her and my Chihuahua, and just today we adopted an older pug whose owner had recently died. So there is some adjusting going on here. I know you are lost without your dog though and I feel for you and wish you all the best.

Jenni
IPhone 6 Plus/iPad Air

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm so sorry about your GF.

If you decide to get the puppy then consider getting it a winter coat, if you get him or her in Oct, you may have a few weeks to train her to wear the coat before the really cold weather hits. I know it's not ideal, especially housetraining a puppy, but it's better then nothing.

The other option is to still train the pup to wear a coat for socialization purposes but train him to use puppy pads. I'm sure you know the draw back to that one, if you decide to train him to potty only outside come warmer weather it may be an uphill battle.

The one good thing about owning a small breed dog is it's fairly easy to exercise them indoors when the weathers really inclement

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Hm... Maybe you could wait till spring and get your dog fix in the meantime by fostering a dog or walking a neighbor's dog who really needs it?

I'd be most worried about potty training. Potty training a toy puppy is tough as it is, doing it in a condo from anything other than the first floor is brutal. Doing it in winter... I don't wanna think about it!!!

Option 3... Cruise petfinder for small breeds. I was dead-set on a Brittay Spaniel, but finding a young one in rescue is pretty tough. What I wound up with is a mutt that looks and acts like a Britt, minus the long hair. Who knows. You might fall in love with a rat terrier or a chi mix if you like min pins.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about you and the girlfriend. Extra sorry about Jagger, I know you really loved that dog. I have nothing helpful to add, other than try not to rush it too much, and hopefully something will come along that fits in perfectly.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the house breaking is going to be the fun part, but likely a little ruff on a pup so small. I've never used pee pads, don't want to start. Everything else is common sense, when it's -40C here, we had to carry Jagger to a spot to let him pee/poop. Any more than a few minutes out in those temps on the ground and feet would freeze up, the resulting screeches were hard to listen to. Getting boots on him took too long for a quick in and out.

It has to be a pin for me, I've dealt with so many different breeds and the pin is a perfect match. As much as I'd love to have a pitty, life just doesn't allow for it right now.

Have to think about this. Lots of pins up for rescue in the US.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Have you looked for a breed specific min pin rescue near you? Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
So sorry to hear about the GF, relationships stink. Extremely sorry to hear about Jagger. I can only imagine how hard that was.

Now I have no experience potty training a puppy in the winter, in fact I have no experience with the winter, but as far as socialization goes I am sure there are some indoor training facilities that offer either puppy classes that have play time at the end or puppy play times that you would be able to take him/her to. That would be something worth looking into. I can't imagine that dog training comes to a complete halt 1/4 of the year.

I would look into your options. See what training facilities are around you. Also, she/he is definitely going to need a coat!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
in fact I have no experience with the winter
I had a good chuckle.
@jagger - if you have frost already, are you on the East Coast? I would kill for some frosty mornings...

Reactions: jclark343

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a good chuckle.

@jagger - if you have frost already, are you on the East Coast? I would kill for some frosty mornings...
North Central Alberta... Gets pretty chilly up here - but people further north have it worse. We've had temps down to -50C. Parts of Alberta have already had snow.

·
Registered
884 Posts
So sorry, not fun.

If you're looking for suggestions I'd be saying 'wait'. Everything is too fresh and new and in flux, and your thoughts are on hanging on to what you can.
Maybe look for purebred's that won't be 'ready' so soon, use the time to do your 'homework' and search on petfinder etc... too. Maybe your new heart-dog will come in another form, and if not, put down a deposit for the puppy of your choice. I'll say I got my guy (adult tropical dog) in mid-winter and I must admit, waiting for springtime to get a new dog would have been very helpful on a whole number of fronts.
Take care.

Consider yourself in mourning, for a complicated mixed bag of losses.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
North Central Alberta... Gets pretty chilly up here - but people further north have it worse. We've had temps down to -50C. Parts of Alberta have already had snow.

Ahh, didn't know that you were that far up north. I was thinking North U.S, and not Canada. I'm in Texas and we're still hitting the low to mid 90's, come Oct. it'll just start getting cool and even the N. U.S will not be all that cold.

I agree that teaching a puppy to potty right now so we can go back in will be tricky when all the little thing is going to want to do is be brought back inside right now minus the potty part. If you weren't in a condo I'd suggest a sheltered spot, where the snow wouldn't be able to easily cover it, outside and cover the ground with hay or small pet bedding, at least doing that the pups feet might not get so cold and it'd be out of the wind might by you some time outside.

Don't blame you for not wanting to use pee pads, personally I hate them and only once or twice wished that my dog would use them, mainly during hurricanes.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The people in the Toy Fox Terrier group I'm in have said winter makes house training easier fwiw. Since they don't like the cold it adds in an element of negative reinforcement- once they potty, they get to go inside out of the cold. Still not fun for you though.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The people in the Toy Fox Terrier group I'm in have said winter makes house training easier fwiw. Since they don't like the cold it adds in an element of negative reinforcement- once they potty, they get to go inside out of the cold. Still not fun for you though.
Works like a charm for Sophie!

I always thought Chisum would have an interesting reaction to the snow - positive or negative - but he doesn't notice it AT ALL. It's like it's not even there.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If getting a pin is as important to you, as it seems to be from what you say, and if there is one you feel particularly bonded to, go for it. Everything else will fall into place and work, as long as its a good match and you are ready. You know what you want, you know what you can handle, go for it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, have a lead on an older dog, he's 5 and pure pin. Have to take a drive this weekend, meet him and see how it goes. He's a cute little bugger. Don't want to say too much yet, hopes are high, hope they don't get dashed.
jagger, how did it go?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts