Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share this story on here, we all love our dogs and dogs in general and its difficult comprehend why people hurt or neglect them. Often with animals and children in the news there is an immediate reaction and in the heat of the moment we forget our critical thinking in our disgust of the act and forget that people deserve the benefit of the doubt.

A few years ago in Iceland a hairless Chinese Crested dog named Lukas went missing. The owners were distraught and went to the media to get the word out including internet sites and chatrooms dedicated to Icelandic dog lovers. Then one day somebody said that he/she had seen a young man put Lukas in a bag and kick him around like a football and that there was blood coming out if the bag and so on. This story spread like wildfire through the internet and really really horrible things were said about this young man and this is in a relatively small town so his name was out everybody knew who he was and where he lived. He was assumed to be psychopathic torturer.

A few day's later Lukas was found a little outside the town, he was fine, no injuries just a bit shaken. He had just gotten out and then something frightened him and he ran further away from home. He was never kidnapped or kicked around in bag. It was a lie.

The guy that was accused of murdering him decided to file defamation charges against those who said horrible things about him online. I think he even lost his job before the dog was found because of this.

I wanted to share this because it is a valuable reminder to never forget to be critical of the information that you receive, also if lukas had truly been tortured to death its up to the authorities to bring the perpetrator to justice not the internet.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Oh dear, poor guy.. It really is hard to distinguish fact from fiction on the internet.

It's a little off topic but this reminds of the "frivolous lawsuit" people often joke about involving the woman who sued McDonalds after spilling coffee on herself because it was too hot and burned her. The media really distorted the facts and the woman actually suffered severe 3rd degree burns. The pictures of the burns are quite graphic. It really shocked me when I found out. Any ways, I agree, you shouldn't believe everything you read.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This reminds me of images that floated around the Internet of dog fights. There were pictures taken of a dog fight where Heineken banners were surrounding the ring. People were outraged, Heineken's brand was dragged through the mud for supporting dog fights. It didn't take long for Heineken to do an investigation and find out that they had paid to have banners put up in that club for a regular nightlife event the night before the dog fight.. And the owners of the club just never got around to taking them down. Heineken of course issued a public apology explaining the misunderstanding, said they don't support dog fights and had absolutely no idea this establishment put on those kinds of events, pulled out of the advertising deal with that chain of clubs and had to do A LOT of damage control. I believe this happened a few years ago, but ever since then every couple of months the picture resurfaces and everybody gets outraged at the company and Heineken has to issue more statements about it. They lost a lot of business over a mistake. Animal mistreatment and abuse issues are very sensitive, but it's very true that you can't just take something you see/hear off the Internet at face value. Context is everything!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
This reminds me of images that floated around the Internet of dog fights. There were pictures taken of a dog fight where Heineken banners were surrounding the ring. People were outraged, Heineken's brand was dragged through the mud for supporting dog fights. It didn't take long for Heineken to do an investigation and find out that they had paid to have banners put up in that club for a regular nightlife event the night before the dog fight.. And the owners of the club just never got around to taking them down. Heineken of course issued a public apology explaining the misunderstanding, said they don't support dog fights and had absolutely no idea this establishment put on those kinds of events, pulled out of the advertising deal with that chain of clubs and had to do A LOT of damage control. I believe this happened a few years ago, but ever since then every couple of months the picture resurfaces and everybody gets outraged at the company and Heineken has to issue more statements about it. They lost a lot of business over a mistake. Animal mistreatment and abuse issues are very sensitive, but it's very true that you can't just take something you see/hear off the Internet at face value. Context is everything!
There's another one floating around on facebook that I've seen of two young men that appear to have a puppy dangling from it's neck by a rope and are proudly holding it up like you would hold up a fish you caught for a photo. Nobody knows who the two young men are, who's photo it is, who took it, or if it's even legit or edited.

But it's always posted with something along the lines of "if you see these two *insert explicative of choice*, kill them (or alternatively: rip their **** out/hang them by the neck too/variety of other mean torturous actions)".

I have seen so many photos and stories being shared on facebook that are so blatantly false it's not even funny, and people treat it like gospel. A quick google before posting something would show that it's untrue, but nobody even bothers to do that. They share false information without thinking.

I just don't understand it. I grew up being taught to think before I act or speak, and to use logic and fact check before making or promoting claims. To put it shortly, I was taught to be a skeptic. I rarely trust anything on Facebook anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.