Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to post this but I some type of advice or support with what just happened recently. My family dog is a cross rottie medium size small for a breed she's a lovely girl I noticed her back fur end always gets frisked up whenever she's sniffing our cats or even dogs or her barking at something so I know it isn't a good sign when her fur goes up like a cat would all being scared. However continuing the story our cross rottie doesn't let dogs sniff her she's purposely dodges it but she's a big hypocrite with sniffing dogs backends in fact it's the only thing she can do with dogs she can't play with them other then sniff it's almost like she doesn't know how too. So .. recently there's been an in fenced area recently built in the community it was the 6th time being there with our cross rottie she never known much to do other then run around when fast dogs run around of sniff. That day of our 6th time one person comes in with a fluffy small thing it looked frighten and was running around all the other dogs were chasing it then our girl first time ever did a mouth play thing I suppose, when two dogs play sort of thing. I never thought she could even do that but I realise she likes smaller dogs cause of her dominance after that one moment of her doing that the owner asked us if we the owners and said she didn't like that ... I was stunned just cause our girl hasn't ever been that close with a dog before ever in play. I felt embarrassed I will say.. the owner seemed anxious I could see.. so we right away left. I'm not saying that owner was wrong, but was it wrong for our girl to be with dogs when she's a dominant/ insecure dog who can't play but sniff? I go to dog training every weekend for years now. I could see she's calmer with dogs since sniffing them in the park off leash in fenced area but what has happened I am too ashamed and feel I couldn't show up to a in fenced dog park ..

But I keep thinking instead of her being off leash .. I thought there could be a training strategy being leashed with her being in a dog park recorrecting her when she's been sniffed by dogs like hold her harness when dogs sniff her? Is it okay for her to be on a leashed in a in fenced area? What could be improved for being dominant and insecure dog towards other dogs? I feel odd and unsure. I feel this breed scares people so maybe that's a reason to keep away from small breeds and only stick with big breeds even though our girl very insecure by big dogs. I feel mixed emotions, I've red some opinions that dog parks are bad and don't take them there but I don't have friends with dogs so our girl needs some insightful experience of being used to dogs in their habit ways not only at dog training but when they run or play is new to her. I am aware of disease and unsafe dogs in these parks.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You have a lovely dog. She is insecure and sounds like the dog park is more stress than benefit for her.

I have one of those, its a good thing that her first response is to evade things that make her uncomfortable. That is an acceptable behavior but also a sign that she is way out of her comfort zone. I can guarantee you that my dog would attack whatever was forcing her to be sniffed if I tried to make her allow sniffing.

When I take my dog to the dog park I have a limit on how many dogs are around. Too many dogs: leave. Dogs that don't respond to her saying no with body language: leave. Echo starts to stress: leave. We spend most of our time waking around the dog park or playing with toys.

Obedience training I require for the dog park: immediate recall, heel, down and leave it. If any of these fail its a sign I've pushed too far.

With this type of dog you can worsen their insecurity if you force them into stressy situations. I wouldn't assume she was playing with that small dog it may have been an outlet of nerves to mouth it.

It sucks to be the advocate of these dogs sometimes, but you will have a better time of it if you are honest with yourself about your dog's characteristics and adjust accordingly. If you are unsure hiring a trainer is a good way forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let the dog play while leashed and confront the owners
previous play. Let them know about the situation and if
they agree to it. MAYBE!
:geek:(y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts