Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, Buddy (intact male dachshund) started mounting Rylee (spayed female heeler mix). I've seen Buddy dominant-mount a puppy before and this just doesn't feel the same. He acts as if Rylee is in heat, licking her, clacking his teeth, crazy crazy crazy wild eyes like he just can't help himself. The first couple days before his Thundershirt came in were unbearable, literally 18 hours of humping a day with breaks when I chased him off of her. (I swear his leg muscles have gotten bigger over the past week lol)

After doing some searching online, I found that sometimes UTI's or Bacterial Vaginal Infections can mimic the scent of estrus. So, yesterday, DH and I took Rylee to the vet for her rabies shot, to get a cyst looked at, get her anal glands expressed and to ask the vet about the mounting.

After she took care of all the other things, I asked her about the mounting. She insisted that it's just dominance humping, even though he shows no interest in Dippy (spayed female dalmation, and Rylee's baby). After telling her what I'd read online, she still insisted it's just dominance and that we just need to bring Buddy in to get neutered. I'm so frustrated with her because she wouldn't even look or run a test, and unfortunately we live in a small town and they're the only vet clinic in town. To get another opinion I'd have to take Rylee an hour into town :/

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience with the mounting situation? Could it truly be dominance humping or should I just take Rylee to another vet and see if they'll check for BVI?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My sisters intact female Dachshund also displays dominance mounting. But she only does it to my sisters other Dachshund, who is a neutered male. She does not mount the female spayed lab-mix, nor does she try to mount my Aussie, who is a neutered male.
With that in mind, if you are concerned about it, it might be worth a visit. It sucks that it is an hour away, but for peace of mind, maybe it is worth the drive?

·
Registered
140 Posts
This morning my neutered dog Pip sniffed and licked my spayed girl Libby's bum and did the teeth chatter thing. He rarely does it . She has problems with her glands and I assume it is to do with that.
Licking and sniffing give dogs information about other dogs.

It might be worth getting her checked out because of the fact that he suddenly started doing it and he is so excited by her.
Dogs mount for all sorts of reasons, it's too easy to put it down to "Dominance " mounting.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I highly doubt that it's a dominance issue, nor do I think it's due to him wanting to mate. My guess that it's due to excitement, anxiety, over arousal, or stress.

What's going on that you got him a thunder shirt? If it worked to stop the mounting then 10 to 1 it's not due to dominance or his thinking she's in heat, since all the thunder shirt does is help calm the dog down.

He could be reacting if Rylee is stressed, or in pain. I had a male dog that acted different towards my female dog whenever she was anxious and stressed due to thunderstorms, he'd whine and constantly lick her ear. He only humped her if he was completely excited and over stimulated.

Whatever the problem is you cannot let him continue to hump her, whenever he does it separate them for a couple minutes and give him a chance to calm down. If you let him continue to practice the behavior it will get worse and you may be breaking up a dog fight if Rylee gets tired of it and lashes out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dog's don't mount for dominance. Dominance has been debunked a couple years ago actually. Mounting is a form of over excitement, smells a dog in heat, or play.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts