Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog Presley is about a year old, I got her when she was 5 months old, and I was pretty adamant about socializing her and having puppy play dates with lots of different dogs of different sizes. But as of recently she’s started displaying a lot of dominance aggressions with other dogs. Out of nowhere. She’ll be chasing a dog or roughhousing, normal dog play, and all of a sudden she’ll pin them down and start growling, and it has resulted in two squabbles with dogs. No bites or anything scary, just growling at each other and posturing. She exhibited dominance behaviors with me when I first adopted her in the home setting, which is probably why she was surrendered. But I very quickly in the matter of a month managed to get it under control around me, and strangers. She never exhibited any of this with dogs however, in almost 8 months of having her. And all of a sudden it’s an unpredictable issue where she’ll be playing and then all of a sudden it turns into a fight and not fun. I’ve noticed it only happens with adult dogs, she has a lot of patience with puppies and never tries that on them. I’ve looked all over the internet but nowhere seems to have any good advice to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. I should mention on leash, she’s very good with other dogs, friendly, doesn’t bark, or whine, and will more often than not ignore other dogs when on leash and heel to me easily on command. It’s off leash that she’s difficult. Any help or tips or links to resources would be great

·
Registered
79 Posts
So my dog Presley is about a year old, I got her when she was 5 months old, and I was pretty adamant about socializing her and having puppy play dates with lots of different dogs of different sizes. But as of recently she’s started displaying a lot of dominance aggressions with other dogs. Out of nowhere. She’ll be chasing a dog or roughhousing, normal dog play, and all of a sudden she’ll pin them down and start growling, and it has resulted in two squabbles with dogs. No bites or anything scary, just growling at each other and posturing. She exhibited dominance behaviors with me when I first adopted her in the home setting, which is probably why she was surrendered. But I very quickly in the matter of a month managed to get it under control around me, and strangers. She never exhibited any of this with dogs however, in almost 8 months of having her. And all of a sudden it’s an unpredictable issue where she’ll be playing and then all of a sudden it turns into a fight and not fun. I’ve noticed it only happens with adult dogs, she has a lot of patience with puppies and never tries that on them. I’ve looked all over the internet but nowhere seems to have any good advice to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. I should mention on leash, she’s very good with other dogs, friendly, doesn’t bark, or whine, and will more often than not ignore other dogs when on leash and heel to me easily on command. It’s off leash that she’s difficult. Any help or tips or links to resources would be great

1 - 4 of 4 Posts