Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m doing some research on Extraversion/Introversion in dogs and looking for input from dog owners.

If you and your dog are up for a few quick questions about your dog’s personality you can take a short survey here: https://mulcahy.typeform.com/to/YsEd7B
(no spam or ads - just 10 behavioral questions and a few demographic questions, e.g. age, sex, breed.

If you aren't up for a survey but have anecdotes about why you think your dog has qualities related to introversion or extraversion, could you relate them here?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did the poll! I would love to see what the outcome is!

·
Registered
661 Posts

What is the objective of your research? You have fallen into a huge trap of assuming dogs think like people (*hint* they cannot because they don't have the anatomy) and you are going to end up in a circular logic loop that gets you nowhere.

I suggest getting and reading a copy of How Dogs Work by ethologists Raymond Coppinger and Mark Feinstein.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I took the poll and I'm very interested to see how the paper turns out! Please keep us updated on how its going!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

What is the objective of your research? You have fallen into a huge trap of assuming dogs think like people (*hint* they cannot because they don't have the anatomy) and you are going to end up in a circular logic loop that gets you nowhere.

I suggest getting and reading a copy of How Dogs Work by ethologists Raymond Coppinger and Mark Feinstein.
Did you bother to read the questions? Dogs can still have personalities without being anthropomorphisized. It's not uncommon to have a shy or an outgoing dog. Not a single question in that survey led me to believe dogs are being thought of as anything more complicated than they are. No reason to be patronizing and give unwarranted criticism on someone's project.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Some of those questions were hard to answer because they included my dog's interactions with both dogs and people. Delilah loves dogs, but she's nervous and reactive around people! So maybe they should have been split up into two questions instead of including both species in the same question?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Some of those questions were hard to answer because they included my dog's interactions with both dogs and people. Delilah loves dogs, but she's nervous and reactive around people! So maybe they should have been split up into two questions instead of including both species in the same question?
Agreed, this might be helpful for your research! I filled in "sometimes" for those questions and wrote in that Jayne loves dogs but is nervous with people.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It would have been better to distinguish between "dogs" and "people".

My dog gets along wonderfully with people but is dog-reactive...

Also 7th question was confusing - it was something like "I dont mind being near other dogs if my people are close to me" ... what does it mean? That dog is insecure and only is ok with other dogs when his/her people are near?

Otherwise, very interesting idea.

I do think some dogs are more outgoing and some are more laid back, behavioral issues/traumas put aside.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Did you bother to read the questions? Dogs can still have personalities without being anthropomorphisized. It's not uncommon to have a shy or an outgoing dog. Not a single question in that survey led me to believe dogs are being thought of as anything more complicated than they are. No reason to be patronizing and give unwarranted criticism on someone's project.
Yes, I read the survey and frankly thought the questions were silly which is why I asked for the objective of the "research".

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes, I read the survey and frankly thought the questions were silly which is why I asked for the objective of the "research".
I know you may just be trying to be helpful. But it's coming across a bit rude. :( Posting the big picture of the definition of anthropomorphism and saying the questions are silly isn't being helpful and honestly just seems condescending. I personally am very interested in the paper, and even though I believe the questions could have been more specific, I am hopeful that they will be comfortable enough to post their findings on here when its done because I'd love to read it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I know you may just be trying to be helpful. But it's coming across a bit rude. :( Posting the big picture of the definition of anthropomorphism and saying the questions are silly isn't being helpful and honestly just seems condescending. I personally am very interested in the paper, and even though I believe the questions could have been more specific, I am hopeful that they will be comfortable enough to post their findings on here when its done because I'd love to read it.
I admit I may have come off rude, but I felt the OP needed to do some more study on how dogs function mentally. The book I suggested, while I don't agree with everything in it, is a good start in understanding the dog without falling into the anthropomorphic trap and projecting human thoughts and motivations onto them.

The way the survey is written, I cannot see how anything useful can come out of the paper. But that's just my opinion. Presumably, their teacher/professor will give them more guidance.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Actually, the more research comes out on the emotional capacity of dogs and other mammals, the more evidence there is that there are more things similar than different.
The similarity lies in our shared animal consciousness, that is how we are the same as they are, not that they are the same as us. We, unfortunately, are ruled by our thoughts, and they are not.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I took the setting rather casual and answered accordingly. I don't assume this would be a professional query or study.

I was also puzzled and confused by the question #7. I did not understand if it referred to a certain context and if so, which one...

I think the "long" description of my dog I wrote into the more info box might actually tell the OP more than any of my ratings in the actual polls.

I guess a bit more serious study would ask questions alike to the Swedish MH which tries to analyze the dog's temperament by its reactions towards different stimulations. Their ratings are something like ... the dog approaches the object and grabs it ... the dog approaches the object ... the dog does not approach the object ... the dog goes away from the object. It is easier to measure identified behaviors like in which direction the dog is walking or which body language terms occur in its behavior in a definite timeframe.

I remember answering a poll that was called Barq or Q-Bark or something like that. Has its results been published anywhere?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.