Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here to the forums but as title states I have a dog with Megaesophagus. I got this dog which is a Catahoula Sheppard mix when he was just a few weeks old from a listing online, the owner stated the dog did throw up sometimes but thought it was due to food.

My dog is now coming up on turning 3 years old. It has been a very long and tough journey for me as I didn't know what his condition was, I looked into many things from food types, to him maybe eating to fast, I've spent tons of money of different food types and special bowls designed to help him pace his eating. I did take him to the vet shortly after I got him to get him all checked up and all of that as I have never owned a dog and figured a vet is a great place to start learning about my newest family member and best friend. He mad multiple visits just for. Checkups vaccinations and all that good stuff I would also always ask the vet about the constant vomiting. I went to 3 different vets with no solid answers which began to be very upsetting as I knew this was not normal for my animal, he was vomiting multiple times a day 10-20 times a day. It wasn't until about a year in to having him he was acting weird one night and it scared me to I took him to an emergency clinic and this was where I discovered he had Megaesophagus. I had no idea what it was but the emergency vet gave me some details and reading material and now I have a name to sit on Google with.

So now I've taken it into my own hands as the local vets around be don't want to seem to take the time with me to sit down and talk about my dogs condition I have X-rays and all kinds of info I got from the emergency clinic but again no one seems to want to take the time with me. So for the past almost 2 years I have tried so many different methods. I tried making food balls out of canned dog food seemed to help a bit while feeding him elevated but I was still unhappy with the results so I tried going back to a kibble feeding elevated again no results. I finally sat down and built him a Bailey chair and would put the food in a bowl and made a tray attached to his chair and finally I started seeing some improvements, but yet this still to me wasn't good enough I was still worried about his health. So then I began trying different ways of feeding him.

I went out and bought a meat grinder from gander mountain it's a 1/3HP all metal grinder (which does work but I wished I bought one with a higher power rating) and I take his regular dry kibble and run it thru the grinder to basically turn it into a powder. It some of it comes out to big I dump it thru a strainer and everything left behind I run thru a coffee bean grinder to get the fine powder. From this point I used to take one cup and put it in his food bowl and mis with water to a very liquified texture. And let him eat it that way then sit in chair 30after each meal.
I saw substantial progress with this method but still had a few accidents.
I then tried another method of how I fed him. And this is what has finally worked for me. I now take the same 1 cup of the grinder up dog food put it in his bowl. I let him eat it dry and follow it immediately with a bowl of water and let him drink right after the food is gone. And now I have had 0 accidents for a very long time now. He is soon turning 3 and is very healthy and plays like any normal dog.

END NOTE I also tried grinding the food in a blender. And food processor but I still wasn't able to get the food into a fine enough consistency and would still have a few accidents which is why I now take them thru a coffee bean grinder.

Sorry for the long post but I know this condition can be very hard on some owners I know it was for me but I wouldn't trade him for the world! Hope maybe my methods may work for another loving owner having troubles with this conditions! Feel free to message me with any questions. I am NO expert but I'm more than happy to share more of what did and did not work for me or things I have tried.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow! I'm so super glad you have figured out what works. Major kudos for you for taking such good care of such a medically difficult dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! I'm so super glad you have figured out what works. Major kudos for you for taking such good care of such a medically difficult dog.
Posted via Mobile Device
It did take a lot of trial and error and I couldn't even imagine how bad he must feel always throwing up but I'm very happy I finally found what works! Not all dogs are the same each has their own methods that will work for them better than others. This is so far the best results I have had with him and hope it an help someone else or at least give them more courage to never give up on them!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Did he get quite thin throwing up everything he ate? I'm very curious about this defect, I'd never heard of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of my tiny chihuahuas has Mega E. We diagnosed it around one year of age. He would regurgitate a mouth full of food at a time for several hours after he ate.
For a long time I gave him metoclopramide before each meal, which helped, but not entirely. He now eats dry food, soaked with water, from an elevated slow feeding bowl. And, oddly enough, he will stand up on his back legs and rest his front paw on a table leg, chair, me, etc after he eats. He started doing this all on his own one day and now he does it after each meal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my tiny chihuahuas has Mega E. We diagnosed it around one year of age. He would regurgitate a mouth full of food at a time for several hours after he ate.
For a long time I gave him metoclopramide before each meal, which helped, but not entirely. He now eats dry food, soaked with water, from an elevated slow feeding bowl. And, oddly enough, he will stand up on his back legs and rest his front paw on a table leg, chair, me, etc after he eats. He started doing this all on his own one day and now he does it after each meal.
That's great!! Mine has learned his chair he knows when it's feeding time he automatically goes to his chair backs himself into it and gets in posistion for me to close the door. Glad the soaked food works for you!!

And yes min no longer throws up anymore food only time he does is sometimes he will have a little to much water after playing but it's normally a small spot he throws up. Nothing like it used to be

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's great!! Mine has learned his chair he knows when it's feeding time he automatically goes to his chair backs himself into it and gets in posistion for me to close the door. Glad the soaked food works for you!!

And yes min no longer throws up anymore food only time he does is sometimes he will have a little to much water after playing but it's normally a small spot he throws up. Nothing like it used to be

It was so relieving when the spitting up began to lessen. My little man still brings up water on occasion, too... Especially after a lot of exercise. But on normal days, everything stays down.

It really is amazing how they adapt once they learn what helps them keep everything down. They learn to love the new way to eat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts