Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm brand new to dog forum after a friend recommended me for some dog questions I have.

I'm strongly considering getting a dog. However, my biggest issue with making any dog decisions is my bird, Kevin.

Kevin is a cockatiel. She is currently the only pet I have. Before I bring any other animal into my life I want to make sure that Kevin's quality of life does not suffer. Currently, Kevin is free to come out of her cage and fly freely pretty much from the moment I get home to when I go to bed. She hangs out in the kitchen with me when I cook, rides around on my shoulder and loves to be blow dried when I get ready in the morning. She can be left unsupervised in a room, but generally is always with me.

I've read that getting a puppy makes it easier to train the dog to get along with the bird as well making it easier for the dog to learn "leave it" and other bird saving commands. I would love to get a puppy, but am not opposed to an adult dog. Ultimately, I just want what is best for the bird.

I've thought through all the other factors. I can afford a dog, my lease allows a dog of any size, I'm ready to care for a puppy or adult dog and my office is dog friendly so the dog will not be alone more than two days a week in the house.

If anyone has any breed suggestions I would love to hear them. Or any other tips for raising a dog and a bird in the same house. I am open to a rescue or a breeder. Ultimately I just want to get a pup that would be the best fit for my bird so they can both lead the best lives I can give them.

Other factors to consider when recommending breeds:
I would love a medium sized dog, but would consider a small. I do not want/think I could handle a 100+ lb dog.
Ideally, I'd love my dog to be able to run with me.
I also live alone so if the dog is a little intimidating looking, that wouldn't be a bad thing :D
My lease has no size requirements, but unfortunately does not allow "aggressive breeds" so definitely no pit bulls and I suspect, but do not know for sure, no GSDs or Rottweilers

Thank you for reading all of this!

·
Registered
89 Posts
There really aren't any dogs that are "good with birds" simply for the reason that birds are waaaayyy to fragile to risk getting close to a dog. No matter what breed you have, you have to exercise the same caution when it comes to a bird. This is because birds come to think of everything that lives with them as their 'flock' and sometimes lose their fear of dogs and might approach them when you least expect it. I have a parrot, and have had too many close calls myself. I can't stress enough, never ever leave a dog and bird together out of your sight. Even if the dog isn't interested, having a parrot nip his butt while he is napping will sure get his interest. What I'm saying is, get whatever dog you like, no matter what, you have to keep it separate from your bird - this means when one is out, the other is safely in crate/cage (and cage is out of reach of dog)

There are lots of youtube videos of dogs and birds interacting...its a TERRIBLE idea and always very risky. Birds are just so sensitive and fragile, and at the same time often reckless, with a set of pliers for a mouth.

I have two small terriers and a Meyers parrot. The worst problem I have is the parrot dropping bits of wood and other things that the dogs get a hold of. I think because she moves so slowly and doesn't behave like prey, they just don't care. But I have no doubt if they came face-to-face either dog would kill her. Either purposely or accidentally with their paws.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Even dogs that are good with other animals I'd be cautious with them around birds. Birds are delicate and all it takes is a paw to hurt or kill them. I have three dogs and I also have a Green cheek conure, she is a bit smaller than a cockatiel. I don't trust the dogs around her. I let her out with the door shut, but I also have cats. I do let Shorty in, but they do not interact. I've iffy with Vegas, he is afraid of almost everything and as long as Ziva(my conure) stays away from him they are fine. I will not let Freyja in, she is still young and playful. I don't think she would hurt Ziva on purpose, but birds are delicate. I would never ever trust a puppy or young dog around a bird. I'll tell you a story I'm not proud of and to this day haunts me. A few years back I had a gosling, he'd run around the house and the dogs paid no mind to him. We had gone camping which we did often with the dogs and took the gosling with us too. The dogs were finishing up dinner and the gosling was sitting next to my BF and I. I was looking at the fire and hear Vegas growl. I turned to see the gosling on his side kicking. I think he had wondered over to Vegas and got too close. Vegas warned him but he didn't speak dog. Vegas gave a warning snap and killed him. There was not a mark on the gosling, but it was enough to snap his neck. All because I turned my back for a minute.

You can have a dog and a bird living together. But it takes work and I would always supervise interactions. I do think it's less breed and more the dog. When I was a teen I had a super friendly budgie, he would ride around on my Scottish Terrier's back. But Scotties have a high prey drive, in fact Scottie(yes, that is what I named her when I was 10) would chase and kill wild animals including birds. But she was always good with my animals.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
All of the advice given is great. Never ever leave them unsupervised. When I was little I gave my cockatiel to my uncle. He was dogsitting a hunting dog and left the house. Now, the bird was in her cage. When he came home it was dead. The dog died sometime later, they say from a feather quill lodging in it's throat. When we leave the house my parrot and the dogs are in separate rooms. Even with my parrot in his large and heavy cage I do not trust my dogs. Just use caution and everything will be okay. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
As an owner of two a Cockatiel and a Quaker and 4 dogs I have to say it deals a lot with individual temperament of the animals involved. My cockatiel is ok with the dogs but any fast moment they make startles him, though we're working on it with some training and he is getting better. My quaker is the polar opposite, she tells the dogs to sit, attempts to fly on and pull hairs out from my "bombproof" bird friendly dogs Shikoba and Nuka, and cuddles with them. My Akita likes the birds but I keep her far away from the due to the fact that she wants to pick them up and carry them :) Makwa has a high prey drive and can't even be in the same room with them if they are out of their cages. There are a couple rescue groups in my area who temperament test there dogs with everything from children and cats to guinea pigs and parrots. Perhaps you could find a dog at a place like that that has already proven its compatibility with birds? IMHO From knowing other people with mixed-species households show bred (not field bred) Golden Retrievers and Newfoundlands tend to do good with small animals.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Glad to see a post with positive feedback on owning bird and dogs. Some individual animals will live happily with any other, other won't live happily with their own species. But care always needs to be exercised.

A friend of mine had a cat and a budgie. And it was the bird that ran rings round the cat. LOL.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't add much to this, however, one thought I had is that an older dog *could be more apt to live peacefully with a bird. Older dogs just tend to be more relaxed, chill, and too lazy to get up to chase a bird in the first place. Whereas the same dog in the puppy stage would want to chase it. However this would still vary on the particular dog. I'm sure many older dogs still have a lot of energy, you might just have better luck this route. But either way, great care must still be taken. As others said, sometimes its the bird who goes after the cat/dog!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am raising up my puppy around my chickens.... she is SO CURIOUS and her curiosity would naturally turns into mouthing and chasing if I wasn't extra vigilant. Cricket is 2 weeks older than my big chicks and she's learned from the very beginning that she can look but not touch (or mouth).

When the birds flap a lot she forgets to listen and wants to chase, so for that reason Cricket is NEVER allowed in the coop or run with me. I just got some tiny new chicks on Friday and she is (again) VERY curious and caution is a MUST.

Now, if I were to forbid any interaction at all she would bother them behind my back so I do permit curiosity. But if there is any indication in her body language that she wants to mouth or paw at one of the birds, she gets "the look" and a "leave it" command from me. Eventually (when Cricket is more mature) she'll back off with just "the look". LOL

Long story short.... whatever dog you get, teach the dog to control his or her own behavior. Don't be too harsh when scolding or he/she may get obsessive and go behind your back to get the bird.

BREED info - My Cricket is half black lab and half treeing walker coonhound. Both are hunting dogs, and a lab is specifically a bird dog. She does well with the birds for her age and training level. I would avoid putting a terrier breed with any prey animal because they tend to be more obsessive and manic than other breed groups.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have parakeets and finches, they are not permitted to fly around the room but I still take precautions even though they are caged, there is a latch on the outside of the door to the room where they are kept, and if I leave the house the dogs are in their crates and that door is closed as well.
As others have said, use caution. A free flighted bird in the same room as a dog, if you are not there, could be a risk.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I stopped feeding my dogs chicken proteins since I have 10 chickens and two dogs. I’ve noticed this has helped a lot! So you could try eliminating bird proteins as a whole for a while and then maybe reintroducing them after the dogs get accustomed with the bird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts