1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6F85866D-F2F6-4726-BA22-CD332CF53C91.jpg

47AC9B74-5CEA-4BF4-A03A-5843E3EFE582.jpg

85DB4BE1-AAA6-4B26-8D9B-EA89F76D4B1E.jpg

This is my dogs tail. At the vet she had said that it was possibly mites but didn’t usually affect the tail so to see if it gets worse before treating. He was from the SPCA but had been treated from my understanding. Anyways it seems to not be getting better. Does anyone know what this is? Or has their dog had similar? What did you do? I plan to get into the vet as soon as we can but we are snowed in atm and it is the holidays so since it’s non emergency I need to wait til after. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Your vet needs to do a skin scrape to confirm if it is mites, and which type if it is in fact mites. As your vet said its unsual for mites to only affect the tail, but everything is possible. A fungal or secondary skin infection would be something to consider, your vet can do a woods lamp test or skin cytology to confirm their diagnosis. Also thyroid imbalances can affect their coat an cause hair loss, both generalized and in patches. Thyroid issues also make them more prone to developing the previous issues mentioned. If you have not had bloodwork done recently I would definitely have a general panel done and make sure it includes a thyroid check.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts