Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9yr old Maltese - Shihtzu has a cruciate surgery on this right leg just 12 days ago, on Thursday I noticed a patch of his fur all clumped up on his back probably about 3 inches from the stitchers on his leg. I cut the patch of mattesed hair out and when I moved it the hair and skin came with is exposing his flesh. I took him to my vet and he said he could be a reaction to the medication but he stopped that on 5 days after surgery and the skin started peeling 5 days after that. The vet also said maybe it could be where they did the injection. The skin that is peeling off is in an area of my palm and I’m starting to worry it’s something worse. I’ve been doing salt water rinses ( advised by the vet ) also he is wearing a cone to stop the licking. I’m worried it’s going to keep spreading. He otherwise seems okay, is more quiet then normal, but eating, drinking and normal poo and wee. If anyone has heard anything about this please send me a message, I can’t seem to find anything similar on the internet. Also when I was at the vet he put sticky tape on the area pulled it off and the skin came too! The first photo is on Thursday and the second is today ( Saturday)
Thanks!
E7380EFC-E3A7-47E2-9E9D-CCA3089A6F19_1544873905733.jpg F8E32A3C-7867-4D2D-B288-D6A40D8BAF9E_1544873947921.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can see why you're concerned. Have another vet look at it. Or, if you can a vet Dermatologist. And/or grill your vet about why they think it's just a reaction to the shot vs something else. Seems bad to me that skin would come off just from sticky tape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I’m trying a different vet on Wednesday (Monday today) he has gotten worse just laying there not really getting excited like he usually would. Still eating and drinking but very lethargic. I’m thinking it might be best to try and get him in sooner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts