Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to register Trucker as a PAL so that once he is ready he can compete in Tracking.

I was wondering how people came up with their dog show name.

For Trucker I was thinking Titan of Terror (Sandlot reference) or Less than Truckload (Old Dominion Freight Line reference).

·
Registered
30 Posts
When we have a litter we pick a theme, like this recent one we named them all after gemstones. We have also done an "N" theme, i.e. "Smart N Sassy" "Lock N Load", etc. One of our other themes was "Start", as in "Start Your Engines" and "Startin the Party"

For a dog who does not have registered parents you really have no boundaries...I would find a reference to something you like and name him after that. Zico needs a name as well eventually, and that will probably be the approach I'll take...

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I like Titan of Terror because based off your posts, that's a pretty ferocious name for such a soft cuddle-bug. ;)

Levi's "Wenlisa's Levi Has an Edge" is just the breeder's name (Wenlisa) his name we picked, and his dad's reg name was "Copperkit on the Edge" so it all rolled into one.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Shandula I call him the Titan of Terror or the Terrible Terror when he is busy "exploring". It makes me smile when I see it too.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I like both name options, Titan of Terror because I like the sound of it, and Less Than Truckload since it goes with his name. I think either would be a good fit for him.

For my guys, Maye came with her registered name, Knee High's Call Me Maybe. I assume since she was a may puppy that's were her name came from. Its not my favorite but it fits.

Ive been considering registering Sawyer for awhile, but I think ill wait until were both ready to do something that would need it. I think the name Ive completely decided on for him is Azure's Roll The Last Ace. Im not really sure how I got it, I think I just wrote down a whole bunch of words and phrases I liked and this is what I came up with. Another option I had was Kodiaks River Of Wings.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think for many dogs their show names first start with either the breeder/kennel's name or the sire or dam's name. Most breeders require that if that's where the dog comes from. Depending on how you name them, sometimes the call name is taken from the show name or the show name is a play on the call name. I first named Stella her original name then chose her show from from that, making a play on the star theme. I also put in the shelter I got her from, so her show name is Mt. Pleasant's Destined for Stardom. But then, some show names have nothing to do with the call name!

I personally like the sound of Titan of Terror better, but I also prefer show names that are somehow related to their call name. Less Than Truckload is definitely related! I think you should just choose what you think fits more. :) And if you have any other ideas let us know! And of course what you ultimately choose.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I also like Titan of Terror! Seems very fitting.

Forbes came with his (Valor's Where the Wild Things Are) with Valor being his father and the best being named after the children's book.

Roxie (who is also registered as a PAL) is Roxanne's Red Light and honestly we tried to come up with witty names to reference a prostitute.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You mean the registered name? I usually have a theme for the litter of use ancestral names or something like that. I think either of your names sound great.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@SpicyBulldog yeah his registered name. I didn't get to pick his name so I thought not just using Trucker was a fun way to get to pick some part of his name.

Reactions: SpicyBulldog

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My boy friend ended up the one picking his name, saying that if I wanted to change it later on he would pay the fee to do so but he thought that This Trucker's A Momma's Boy fit Trucker the best :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Love it! I like that best out of the three, it seems very fitting for him. =)

I don't know how anyone can decide. I actually have started wondering if there is a time limit on registering because I still need to register Aayla. She doesn't have a show name yet.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ThatYellowDog I was filling out the form and my boyfriend was like his name is wrong on there it needs to be This Trucker's A Momma's Boy. So I told him okay be if he turns into his best friend later that he has to pay to change it :). It is my favorite choice too (I will never tell him) and I think it is by far the best fit.

I don't think that there is any time limit :) by the way I love your new profile picture.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Haha, he doesn't have to know. I would die a bit if I ever saw a dog with a name like that. I love the more creative names. I had a horse we showed as Sir. Price (my last name is price and it sounds like surprise) then my other horse was Mr. Invincible because he had a tendency to run through things. My friend's mare was Miss. Behaving. We thought it was funny when we had all three showing back to back.

With Aayla I'm trying to take into consideration her parents name:
Milky Way and Good Morning Blast, then her breeder's name that has to be included is Red Forrest. Aayla means Top of the Mountain, if its the Australian decent. Though I know the spelling Aella means Whirlwind for the Gaelic decent. I have no idea what to do though.

Thank you! She stands out well in the snow! ^-^

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, he doesn't have to know. I would die a bit if I ever saw a dog with a name like that. I love the more creative names. I had a horse we showed as Sir. Price (my last name is price and it sounds like surprise) then my other horse was Mr. Invincible because he had a tendency to run through things. My friend's mare was Miss. Behaving. We thought it was funny when we had all three showing back to back.

Milky Way and Good Morning Blast, then her breeder's name that has to be included is Red Forrest. Aayla means Top of the Mountain, if its the Australian decent. Though I know the spelling Aella means Whirlwind for the Gaelic decent. I have no idea what to do though.

She is also named after a Jedi ;)

Reactions: TheAdventureK9

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts

Red Forest Morning Whirlwind?
Red Forest Milky Mountain?

I am usually really bad at show names but those 2 popped into mind.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
@ThatYellowDog
Red Forrest's Milky Morning Mountain Top (she's the morning clouded mountain top) or Red Forrest Mountain's Whirlwind Way (she sounds like a pretty awesome hiking trail)

Reactions: jclark343
1 - 16 of 16 Posts