Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have white coat syndrome in a major way, and my blood pressure's been high at two doctor's appointments, so the doctor was getting ready to prescribe a medication, despite the fact that, other than my genetics, I don't really have the kind of factors in my life that would normally indicate a propensity for high blood pressure. But, she wanted to make sure that it wasn't just tension, so she took it again after the appointment was over. She told me to take ten deep, slow breaths and then close my eyes and think of the beach. I told her I don't swim. She said think of a mountain stream, and I thought (but did not say), "Great. That will make me need to pee." So, I thought to myself, screw all that, and said silently, over and over again, "Arms full of puppies. Arms full of puppies." And my blood pressure went down twenty points and I walked out without a prescription.

See--even thinking about dogs lowers blood pressure.

On an unrelated note, while driving home recently, I saw a little girl and her father playing catch, and I thought, "Oh, that's nice. He's playing fetch with his daughter." I think maybe I'm spending a little too much time around dogs, even if it does help the blood pressure.

·
Registered
562 Posts
...."Arms full of puppies. Arms full of puppies."
"Oh, that's nice. He's playing fetch with his daughter." I think maybe I'm spending a little too much time around dogs, even if it does help the blood pressure.
Both of these gave me a giggle! The 'Arms full of puppies' made me think of that movie Happy Gilmore (Highly Recommended!), where Happy, who is perennially grouchy, is always reminded to mentally "Go to your happy place!" Though the arms full of puppies never came up, it was Happy's own private land of good things. :D

The fetch thing reminded me of something that I remarked to a friend of mine years ago when she showed me pictures of her newborn baby. "OH! Are her eyes open yet?" As soon as it was out of my mouth I was embarrassed and laughing, and, thankfully, knowing me as well as she does, so was she. Talk about spending too much time with puppies... :lmao:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yep, dogs really do lower blood pressure...

until...

They want out the second your get totally and utterly relaxed in your recliner.
You come home and see they got into the trash, or pulled something off the counter, or peed, or pooped...even though you let them out before you left an hour before. Or, while outside, they decide to bark...just because they can, and not because there's anything worth really barking at.. :p Oh..and dig holes in the yard for the riding lawnmower to fall into....

...lol...at that baby...is it's eye's opened yet....lol.

As far has your blood pressure... I kind of resisted blood pressure meds for some time, but after 2 incidents of mild tinnitus in one month... I said, the heck with it...taking an itty bitty pill was better than losing my hearing. By the time one does hear ringing in their ears...and they have high blood pressure...it's too late, you've already got some hearing damage.

I really don't mind taking pills, it's just that I have huge issues in remembering to do so...pills have never been a priority in my life. It took me almost a month before I even started to get into the habit of taking one each night. Anyway, we can't be calm all day, and while my blood pressure was border line high, it would spike into extremely dangerous levels when I was in pain or stressed...and those two, pain and stress, feed off of each other.

High blood pressure can cause worse things than hearing issues, strokes, arterial damage which can happen in the heart or brain causing heart attacks or aneurysms, kidney problems and mental issues such as memory impairment.

I didn't learn a lot of that until after I did some research before deciding to get on pills to control it. I don't care if mine is genetic or due to outside influences...all I know is I have it and I have probably done some minor damage to my body by ignoring it for some years before I finally decided it shouldn't be ignored.

Btw, what relaxes me the quickest is probably hearing my cats purr and petting their soft fur : )

Stormy

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not trying to avoid taking a medication for high blood pressure--the doctor just wasn't convinced that it was actual high blood pressure as opposed to high blood pressure caused by the fact that I was in the doctor's office. The fact that it dropped twenty points after the exam as opposed to the before exam blood pressure convinced her that it was not necessary to take a pill. I'm just supposed to spot check it on my own now and again and come back if I start seeing consistently high numbers. She also told me to tell anyone who takes my blood pressure to give me five minutes to take a few deep breaths etc. to relax before they take it. The goal is to make sure the reading is accurate so I don't get put on a medication I don't necessarily need, thus messing up my normal, non-doctor's office blood pressure.

Believe me, I already know all the scary statistics about high blood pressure. That's the problem. People bombard me with scary things that can happen if you have high blood pressure, that amps up my worrying about it, and bingo--up go the numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.