Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all (again :eek:)

This relates to my previous thread "Two as easy as one" but I think merits a new one.

My daughter-in-law has a one+year old golden retriever who is a bit of a boy :rolleyes: He may be with us for 2 months.

If we have two older bitches (both done) will we have problems? How can we control the situation.

The two bitches are rescue and one in a very nervous timid state. Any thoughts would be appreciated :cool:

·
Registered
893 Posts
For the most part, opposite sexes usually get along fine unless the dog(s) are known to be dog-reactive.

I would keep them separate first to let all the dogs settle in with each other. Take them for walks on neutral ground first and see how they react to one another. I would also make sure to give your timid dog more space and have her approach the male when she is ready.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the most part, opposite sexes usually get along fine unless the dog(s) are known to be dog-reactive.

I would keep them separate first to let all the dogs settle in with each other. Take them for walks on neutral ground first and see how they react to one another. I would also make sure to give your timid dog more space and have her approach the male when she is ready.
Timer thanks for that. Hopefully we can keep them apart and manage the situation but the girls will be the permanent residents and I don't want them to feel that is not so. That said the girls are surrounded by all sorts of dogs in the rescue home (that's being nice to it ;)) so they may not be too hassled. The timid one Blanca is more afraid of humans and I expect for good reason. And Bella I think can look after herself.

Any thoughts you have on the other thread would be appreciated. Cheers Nigel

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
are they all intact?
if yes, I'd separate them if your girls are in heat.

When the dogs didn't show interspecies aggression before and und you get them used to other carefully, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are they all intact?
if yes, I'd separate them if your girls are in heat.

When the dogs didn't show interspecies aggression before and und you get them used to other carefully, it shouldn't be a problem.
Mathilda the girls will be neutered but the Golden Retriever dog is intact.

But sounds like with care it might work :ponder:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts