Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my dog (Trixie- a 10lb chi/poodle mix) she was 3 months old ish. When I got her I was staying with my sister who had a 1 year old husky (Koda). They became instant best friends! They played together, she followed him all around, climbed all over him. It was adorable.

I moved away (far away from Texas to NY) when she was about 9 months old. She has been an only dog since then.

Forward to today. Trixie will soon be turning 3 years old. So around 2 years have passed.

My sister can no longer keep her dog and I am going to be taking him. She is driving all the way up here to bring me the dog in 2 weeks.

So my question is... can I expect the dogs to remember one another?

I am slightly worried as my dog was attacked by a golden retriever about a year ago and it made her quite wary of large dogs ever since. The husky is great with other dogs.

I plan to do introductions on leashes outside in the front yard as I read that is helpful. Monitor closely all feeding times, toys, etc... and I do have a plan of being able to keep them separated if things do not go smoothly at first.

But I would love introduction ideas, signs both good and bad to watch for?
Pics! Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It depends. I don't know if they remember the dog, or if they can figure out their signals easier because something in their mind remembers...wow I'm starting to babble lol.

All I know is Tessa is great at remember dogs she's met. There was a retriever at the park today that Tessa hasn't seen since she was maybe 3 months old, they got on like they haven't missed 3 years in between :). Sort of like when a dog is lost for 7 years but remembers it's owner the second they see them.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Its impossible for we mere humans to know what our dogs can remember, but my sense is that they remember a great deal, as well as people and other dogs that have been in their lives. I would love to have just 30 minutes where Samantha, our poodle/bischon mix and I spoke the same language, just 30 minutes. If anyone can figure out how, please sign me up.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My dog was in a puppy class with a Golden, who he just loved. We moved away, and 5 months later we came back for Thanksgiving. We took Levi to the dog park, and there was his buddy. They instantly were best buddies again, so who knows?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm sure it depends on the dog, but in my experience they've "remembered' other dogs for quite awhile. My dog Chess met my best friends families yorkie and became good friends(and she only likes 1/100 dogs), and then didn't see him for almost 2 years and clearly still knew him. I'm sure age is a factor as well. A puppy probably won't remember as long as an adult.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much!

The intros went perfect. They remembered each other!

As soon as they got together they both acted like old friends.

I am really happy. We still have some adjustments that will take time but things are going really well.

Pics of him
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts