Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I rescued two Maltese/Papillon mix puppies from the pound a few years ago and while I love these dogs I want to drop kick them sometimes.

They have been urinating in my computer room over the past 6 months so after training didn't seem to fix I shut the door and leave it shut so they can't enter, but this morning the little black one (Khan) had the balls to do it right in front of me....he coward mid-stream while looking right at me....I will admit I didn't handle it the best.

I assume it's marking mainly because they are males (fixed) but they have a very high predator drive and mark everything we pass on walks. I can only assume it's smell from the previous owners dogs (very disgusting people, this is the only room with original carpet and the only problem area)

I'm curious if anyone knows a good descent brand I can use that could be bought at a chain store like Walmart/Kmart that works very well for removing deep down smells that they smell. If I can't get this under control I have decided I will get those "vibrating" collars that don't hurt but dogs dislike. I will bar them from this room because I can't have them doing this while I try to sell my house.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If the urine is deep down in the carpet it could have soaked all the way down into the wood. If that is the case I don't think any enzyme cleaner would work. I use nature's miracle for cleaning up accidents and it works well. I know most chain pet stores carry it. I really suggest you not use the e collars, it is likely that they will not learn not to go inside. But will instead learn not to go when you are around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was afraid of that, I ripped up the carpet and the pad is soaked but the wood is fine, the only issue I have is my fish tanks are in this room as well so replacing the carpet will not be a viable option.

I really suggest you not use the e collars, it is likely that they will not learn not to go inside. But will instead learn not to go when you are around.
Oh I wouldn't be the one hitting the button, they sell a sensor type that will give the vibration when they walk past the door frame. I guess this is my option then, I was going to use a gate but both can scale it :p

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd just use a baby gate to keep them out of the room.

Sorry saw they you said they can scale the gate. I have two baby gates I bought when I got my dane, they have horizontal bars and a latch to open so you don't have to step over. They work great and I don't think they would be able to scale them.

I also see a few problems with the e collars. Some dogs will shut down with them, some dogs will not be effected at all and ignore them. Depending where the door is they may be afraid to walk past it to the rest of the house. If the door is at the end of a hall or out of the way this doesn't matter. You will have to have the collars on them all the time, they will know when the collars are not on they can go in the room. They could become afraid of doorways in general. Some dogs are just more sensitive. My mom has used a bark collar that vibrates only and her dog will shut down with it on and not eat or drink at all till the collar is removed. Some dogs handle it better than others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd just use a baby gate to keep them out of the room.

Sorry saw they you said they can scale the gate. I have two baby gates I bought when I got my dane, they have horizontal bars and a latch to open so you don't have to step over. They work great and I don't think they would be able to scale them.
Guess I will take a look at at those then, I'm just use to those baby gates and at about 6 months he could leap it with about a foot to spare :p Should have named him tigger instead.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Guess I will take a look at at those then, I'm just use to those baby gates and at about 6 months he could leap it with about a foot to spare :p Should have named him tigger instead.
My dane can step over the gates but she doesn't know that yet. I think they make taller gates to that open too. I got mine at Wal-mart, it was in the baby section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the gate seems to work.....dogs don't remember that they could scale it at around 12 months old. I left a few dog treats out of view of the door to see if they decide to jump the gate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts