Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I have a miniature dachshund with a skin disorder. We've taken her to the vets multiple times, but none of the remedies ever worked. So I thought I might just need to ask someone who's NOT concerned with our money.
Her legs are a grey color, with no fur. They have random, small nodules on them, which seem to be filled with blood. She will not stop biting them, and the itching makes them bleed. I don't know what to do! We've tried baths, antibiotics, anti fungals, anti yeast.... Any advice on what to try would really help... And we dog have a black lab, and he doesn't have any skin problems, so that makes me think its almost an allergy.
Thanks,
Sam
Image:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of. She did have blood work done, but I don't know if that was included. Why? Could a thyroid problem cause this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd prefer to feed her dry, high protein dog food; but my mom refuses to feed her that, and feeds her the soft, prepackaged food.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I'd prefer to feed her dry, high protein dog food; but my mom refuses to feed her that, and feeds her the soft, prepackaged food.
That could also be the problem..:( The prepackaged soft foods have a ton of additives and such that are just not good for dogs. It is also bad for their teeth since they do not have to crunch it. Do you give her any treats?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same deal. My mom gives them tons of treats after they finish their food. I tell her not to, but she refuses to stop. She claims they'll starve... Any advice on how to convince her otherwise?? :D

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If the treats are red in color then that is another bad thing. You can try and tell her to give carrots...cauliflower..broccoli..lettuce for treats. They are non fat and less possible of causing food allergies. The carrots are crunchy so can help break off tarter build up on teeth. I do not know of any healthy can food. There are some good dry foods you could feed and she could always add yogurt, chicken broth...to it if she feels it is not tasty enough..:) To be honest it would be healthier if she ate your meal over that processed stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. I'll definitely change her diet and contact the vet about the thyroid test. Thanks for the help! You've done more than our vet ever has!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Okay. I'll definitely change her diet and contact the vet about the thyroid test. Thanks for the help! You've done more than our vet ever has!
I would definitely start with changing her diet. You will see improvement with in a week or two when fed a healthier diet. :) Good luck with Mom..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to give you an update:
My dogs are eating the dry, healthy food; and Bridgette, the one with the skin problem's, hair is growing back and the swelling is going down every so slowly. Thanks for the tips!!! :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Just wanted to give you an update:
My dogs are eating the dry, healthy food; and Bridgette, the one with the skin problem's, hair is growing back and the swelling is going down every so slowly. Thanks for the tips!!! :)

uh.....It has only been 4 days...you would never see this kind of progress in such a quick amount of time....

What kind of wet food (not all prepackaged is bad...) did you feed? and what kind of dry are you now feeding?

Sorry but this seems suspicious...

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Pawz some dogs do respond very quickly when you stop giving them what they are allergic to. Same with humans. :) I have heard of dogs stop itching after 2 days on a different food. Each dog is different though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts