Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

we are a couple with a french bulldog from Germany and we plan to travel across the USA with our own camper. The plan is to stay for one year and to see as many places as we can.
We have been to the USA for many times, but this will be our longest stay and our first time with a dog.
Here in germany we are allowed to take our dog with us to most restaurants and many shops. Dogs are not allowed in shops where you can buy food (supermarkets etc.)
We have many places where a dog can run and play unleashed, including some beaches.
In german dog-forums people say, that traveling with a dog in the USA is not easy, because dogs are not allowed in most public spaces and i would like to know, how you think about that.
Many people in the USA have dogs. What are you doing, when you go shopping, dining etc.?
Are all the rules strictly enforced? Is it allowed to take a dog to a restaurant, when you sit outside? Are there differences between the states?

Thank you so much and greetings from Hannover / Germany

Volker

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a difference in leash laws/dogs allowed certain places between the States, but also varies between different towns, and then it's business by business. Basically there's not a "one law to rule them all" type of thing. If you have a good idea as to where you'll be traveling, just do a bit of research beforehand and find out what laws or regulations each State or town you'll be staying in have.

Since you'll be staying in your own camper, just check beforehand the rules each campsite have concerning dogs, they should have that information on their websites.

I'm sure others who travel with dogs more often will have better information, but when I traveled with my dog, I had to check what hotels allowed dogs, and no I couldn't take him everywhere with me. He had to stay in the hotel quite often while I was out and about, but I also wasn't on vacation at the time, so that figured into my poor experience of traveling with a dog. Having my own camper would've made my life much simpler I think, so you're already ahead there.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I can't help much, since I've never being in America, but as a true Lindener girl I thought I'd say "welcome to the forum". :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
In South Carolina the state parks have a rule about the length of leash you can use. Also, the dog must be contained at all times.... on a leash, in a camper or a crate. Also, you must use a plastic bag to clean up the dog's droppings.

Your camper will be considered your home, so no leash is needed in the camper. In town, the dog must be on a leash at all times. I don't know of any places where you can take a dog in a restaurant or a grocery store. My friend had a 2 pound Chihuahua that she took onto the grocery store and the owner asked her to never shop there again.

One beach here in South Carolina has a time when dogs are allowed to run free off a leash, but only during certain hours.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
A few casual restaurants and cafes have outdoor seating areas on sidewalks and allow owners to sit there with their dogs, but for the most part, people leave their dogs at home when they go out to eat. I've only ever seen dogs in pet stores and occasionally, but not often, in hardware stores. Unless they are trained service dogs, such as guide dogs for the blind, dogs are not permitted in most buildings.

When you travel, you can fairly easily find places to board your dog for a day such as doggie day care facilities or kennels. You can also go on www.rover.com and look for dog sitters.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I find the dog-friendliness really depends on where in the country you are. I grew up on the east coast, specifically in New York City, and spent a lot of time growing up on Long Island and in various parts of New Jersey, as well as lived in Ohio for a two years in college. I am now getting ready to move to the West Coast, specifically Northern California/ outside of San Francisco.

The West Coast has a reputation for being more dog-friendly. People bring their dogs to outdoor seating in restaurants, beer gardens/breweries, and most stores I see allow dogs. I know of some Dog Beaches near San Francisco as well. That city especially has a reputation as being super, super dog friendly.

The East Coast is a little less dog friendly. NYC is definitely more dog-friendly than the areas around it. I know of a lot of stores around here that allow dogs- most clothing stores I go to are OK with them (and are much more likely to be OK with a small dog than a large one) and when it's nice enough to set tables outside, those restaurants that have outdoor seating on the sidewalk (usually just a few tables, but most do) will allow people to eat with well behaved dogs sitting at the base of the table.

Almost everywhere has leash laws- a lot of cities will have laws that prohibit anything longer than 6 feet (ie, no flexi-leashes), and a lot of state parks will require dogs to be on leash, and sometimes those will also have length limits (ie, no long lines or flexi-leashes). That said, it really depends on the place whether or not those laws are enforced. For example, I'm fairly sure that NYC technically doesn't allow leashes over 6ft but I see plenty of people with flexi-leashes on their dogs. It's not something you get ticketed for here.

I don't know how dog parks in Germany are, but I would guess they tend to be better than here. Note that dog parks here can verge on dangerous, especially in cities. A lot of people don't walk their dog except to go to the park, and sometimes take less-than-friendly dogs to the park, and they can be a very tense environment, so take caution in using them. Dog beaches tend to be a little better. If your travels take you to NYC, I cannot recommend enough the off-leash hours at various parks in the city- Fort Greene Park, Sunset Park, Central Park and Prospect Park all have off-leash hours from 9pm to 9am. I especially recommend Prospect Park because it's isolated from the road and feels like you're barely even in a city as you walk through the various meadows. I have to get pictures next time I go- it's literally like what I imagine heaven would look like with all the dogs that come, and they're usually well-behaved dogs, as well, which makes it more relaxing.

Also, I would recommend bringing a copy of any medical files he might have just in case he gets hurt and needs to see a vet here. It also doesn't hurt to have on file one or two vets for each stop you'll make, as it will take some stress out of an emergency situation.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
As I say to anyone from abroad who asks what the US is like--it varies so drastically from state to state on every issue that it's more akin to asking what all of Europe is like, rather than one country. Moonstream does make good points about dog park safety and the differences between east and west coast culture. That being said, dogs are typically not welcome in most American businesses or spaces as much as they are in Europe like you describe.

In terms of rules being enforced when dogs are banned, those rules are typically enforced strictly. Unless a restaurant or store says they are specifically dog friendly (even with an outdoor area) they probably will likely not allow it. Even then, I've been more or less kicked out of a store with my puppy known for being "dog friendly". Some stores will let it slide if you hold you dog but you are likely going to be questioned. The same goes for beaches. Most beaches do not allow dogs unless it's a "dog beach". The majority of American cities have strict leash laws and you will be told to leash your dog if he is running off leash. And to be honest, depending on where you are it's probably safest you don't let him off leash.

I highly recommend the website "bringfido.com" to find dog friendly places you can bring your Frenchie on this cross country trip. Along with that, if you're traveling in the summer be mindful of your dog's breathing. If he isn't used to extreme heat that is normal for many states in the summer it might be overwhelming. So make sure he doesn't exhaust himself or get ill.

And to answer the question as to what dog loving Americans do when we're shopping, dining and going out...we leave our dogs at home! Or at daycare.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
To add to Tracie's good advice, be very careful about leaving your dog in the camper during the daytime. The temperatures inside vehicles can quickly become deadly during the warmer months.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
We have an RV and we always travel with Samantha. Frankly traveling in the U.S. with a dog is not a problem at all. Virtually all RV parks welcome dogs, though there are some restrictions on 'aggressive breeds'. Restaurants as long as there is an outside patio area, in general welcome dogs, you can not take them inside, though. Many RV parks have enclosed dog runs, and walking them through the park, as long as they are on a leash is no problem either. You will find a majority of RV'rs in the U.S. travel with dogs. May run into you when you are on the West Coast. As far as heat in the summer, we always leave the air conditioners running anyway, when its hot, and if we leave Samantha, even if its not hot I will leave the AC on and pre-set so when and if the RV warms inside, it or they will automatically turn on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also double check flying requirements for Frenchies. I know that when I was doing the research behind bringing my girl to the US this summer many airlines refuse to carry dogs that have flat-faces. Something to do with a breathing risk on board/in the hold? Not quite sure.

As for traveling in the US, it completely varies. I'm originally an East Coaster and I find that in more touristy destinations (e.g. summer holiday-ing areas) that dogs are more welcome then in your standard residential areas.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, it is very dangerous to fly with brachycephallic breeds in the hold of airplanes in the warmer months. Some will outright ban brachy breeds in their plane holds, most will refuse to carry them if it's above 80/85 degrees outside.

It would be infinitely safer to fly with her in a carrier in the cabin if she is light/small enough to fit.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't know how dog parks in Germany are, but I would guess they tend to be better than here.
As far as I know, there are no dog parks in Germany and if there are, they are very uncommon.
We've got all kind of parks, but they are for everyone, not specifically for dogs and their owners.
I suppose compared to America the dogs and people are less separated. We just take them with us when we want to and as long as it's not a grocery store or some other places that sell food (or swimming baths but that would be kinda gross anyway), dogs can be taken with you almost everywhere.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
As I mentioned before, I think you will be pleasantly surprised traveling with your dog in the U.S. Believe me, we love our dogs and especially in an RV they go everywhere with us. Dog parks are kind of a mixed bag, I admit I am wary of them, for two main reasons. First, there are a small percentage of owners that just do not, will not follow rules, which can make dog parks a dangerous place for your dog. The other reason, its a great place for dogs to be exposed to any number of diseases, you just never know what dogs that have been there are carriers of, thought to some extent that is a risk when ever you take your dog outside. I think the restrictions here are pretty much the same as you are used to, no grocery stores, no inside restaurants, but in general its ok if the restaurant has an outside patio eating area. Following common sense and reasonable rules, we never find traveling with Samantha a problem.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I live in America and I gotta say I'm jealous of Germany right now. Dogs aren't even allowed on some streets in my town (specifically the one with ALL the stores. Which I go to often. Because, again, EVERYTHING is there)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I live in America and I gotta say I'm jealous of Germany right now. Dogs aren't even allowed on some streets in my town (specifically the one with ALL the stores. Which I go to often. Because, again, EVERYTHING is there)
Don't know where you live, but its nothing like that in the town we live in. Dogs are welcome in the downtown area, and most all restaurants have an outside eating area, dogs welcome. We have a Saturday morning routine, which includes having coffee with friends at a coffee place, we sit outside and all the dogs are so entertaining to watch. Its very very dog friendly here!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't know where you live, but its nothing like that in the town we live in. Dogs are welcome in the downtown area, and most all restaurants have an outside eating area, dogs welcome. We have a Saturday morning routine, which includes having coffee with friends at a coffee place, we sit outside and all the dogs are so entertaining to watch. Its very very dog friendly here!
Dogs are allowed to eat outside with you most places but there's a strip going through three blocks of nothing but stores, tourist things, restaurants etc. Dogs aren't allowed there at all. There's also tones of open fields with leash only rules. In fact, the dog park is one of the few places I can legally let them loose, and the surrounding woods is leash only. I've gotten a ticket from someone patrolling around on a four wheeler. The only danger to any loose dog is the four wheeler itself btw. (and reactive dogs but they go down to one of the other fields rather than bring their reactive dog to the woods at a dog park

1 - 16 of 16 Posts