Dog Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Strange symptoms indeed! The strangest of all was that he suddenly started developing long lasting erections, having never done that in his entire life. Bizarre!
That's interesting to hear, ours has been like that for the longest time, chalked it up to being a dog.

Maybe a reference thread should be started to combine all the symptoms people have experienced due to hypothyroidism. Might help others down the road - seems we've all attributed weirdness to something else when they are most likely a symptom.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Finally got the results back, T4 post pill is low normal so we're upping his synthroid by another quarter of a mg. See if that has an effect on his itching and biting.

I dare say you've been given instruction to do follow up T4 testing?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally got the results back, T4 post pill is low normal so we're upping his synthroid by another quarter of a mg. See if that has an effect on his itching and biting.

I dare say you've been given instruction to do follow up T4 testing?
We've been asked to bring him back in 6-8 weeks to have another blood test (they didn't give me the name of the test). I assume it's the same thing but will definitely check and make sure.

I had no idea low thyroid also caused itching! So many varied symptoms. Glad to hear you are following up too and making sure your pup is doing well. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
One week since we started thyroid medication and Emory is a different dog. I hadn't noticed how much he was changing, because it happened gradually, but now he is back to being his old self. He has stopped a number of his nervous habits, like pacing, and hiding, and isolating himself in his crate. Now he is much more snuggly and social with me and with the other dogs. His stool is normal, he is more alert, and he has stopped obsessively licking his legs. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking these were all symptoms of low thyroid.

We will have another blood draw near the end of June to see if his levels are where they should be. I'm so surprised that this issue turned out to be a thyroid problem - and so relieved that it is treatable!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
One week since we started thyroid medication and Emory is a different dog. I hadn't noticed how much he was changing, because it happened gradually, but now he is back to being his old self. He has stopped a number of his nervous habits, like pacing, and hiding, and isolating himself in his crate. Now he is much more snuggly and social with me and with the other dogs. His stool is normal, he is more alert, and he has stopped obsessively licking his legs. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking these were all symptoms of low thyroid.

We will have another blood draw near the end of June to see if his levels are where they should be. I'm so surprised that this issue turned out to be a thyroid problem - and so relieved that it is treatable!
That's really good news, glad to hear it. The thyroid is an amazing little organ, even more amazing when it doesn't work properly.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
That's really good news, glad to hear it. The thyroid is an amazing little organ, even more amazing when it doesn't work properly.

You are so right! It's simply amazing that such a little organ can cause such havoc in the body when it does not work right and just how varied the problems can be.

Reactions: Lisa DogLover
21 - 26 of 26 Posts