Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am the Mom of 7 month old Black Labs that I have raised from day one since their Mom passed away during labor. I realize that house training is a time of patience and learning, BUT....these two seem to go #2 way too much. They get feed in the morning and at night about 6 and 6 respectively...no matter how many times I take them out and they go, after I bring them in, they seem to have to go again. I feed an expensive dog food and about a cup and half per dog per feeding. I think they are getting the house training thing, but it seems they are not getting it all out when they need to. Granted, I just had them fixed on Friday, so I realize that accidents are going to happen. This has been going on for some time. For instance, this morning, I fed them and they both went #1 and #2. I prepared for work, put them in their kennels, and left. I received a text from my boyfriend that they both had gone again! Could this be a vitamin deficiency or something else? They both got a clean bill of health from the vet. I am getting very frustrated and I think they get the idea, so I can't even say that they aren't learning..HELP!
:confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
How long had they been in their crates before having an accident?
And how many times a day do they go #2?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Also, is their poo soft? Some of the expensive dog foods are hard for some dogs to digest, and seem to push through their systems rather urgently.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it can vary, but this morning was a matter of an hour? They had gone a considerable amount....I would say they go about 4 or five times a day. I wouldn't be too concerned, but these are just little poos....and their poos are normal consistency, not running nor cake like...I would say that the amount is comparable to the amount they eat, but since they eat twice a day, not sure where the rest is coming from..

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Hmm... little hard poos, like charcoal briquettes? If that is the case they sound a bit constipated...

Maybe they need more vigorous exercise to stimulate them to really get it all out of their systems in the morning. ???
Do they get to run around at full puppy speed for a while, or is this just a short leash-potty walk in the am?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, that was supposed to say "aren't little poos". They are eating Eukanuba Puppy Dry food for large breeds

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry guys, that was supposed to say "aren't little poos". They are eating Eukanuba Puppy Dry food for large breeds
LabMom ,
I think we just found the problem. " Corn Meal " turns a dog into a poop machine. No pun intended.......

If you will look for a dog food at a feed store or Tractor Supply, you will be able to find a good quality food for your dogs that does not contain "Corn".

For example , Diamond Large Breed Puppy food would be a quality dog food dry kibble that is not expensive and no corn.

At the age of your dogs you could also switch to a quality adult kibble like Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice Adult formula, also not expensive and no corn.
This is what I feed my Redbonehounds.

You can compare many dog foods at dogfood advisor..

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

Best , Redbonehounds

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Oh, well that might be part of your problem right there.

Try a better food.
Go to dogfoodanalysis.com and check out some 5 and 6 star foods.

Many folks here recommend and use Taste of the Wild

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
You beat me to it Redbones! ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
LabMom ,

The answer here is to buy the best value quality Dog food you can comfortably afford and you will be fine. Often you can buy a better quality kibble at a feed store for no more than you are paying for the Eukanuba. Don't bother to look at Walmart or Grocery store as they do not have what you need.

Tess mentioned , Go to dogfoodanalysis.com and check out some 5 and 6 star foods.
This is a good place to research the dog foods , however , for some a 5 or 6 star Dog Food can be costly. For my 10 rescue hounds the Diamond Naturals line was a good fit as it offered value and quality at a price I could afford.

Best , Redbonehounds

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Please stick with a Large Breed Puppy food for your guys.

I'm chalking this up to a combo of behavioral and the fact that puppies just poop a lot.... lol. Sorry.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Dogs should not be defecating that much. I ditto the others on the diet change. Sorry to hear their poormom lost her life :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys....I thought I was doing the best for them with the Eukanuba. Since they were in the process of house training, I overlooked that a diet change might help. I am almost done with this bag and plan on changing to the Diamond to see if it might make a difference. I also would enjoy not spending that amount just to feed my pups. I would do anything for them, but considering the price and amount of clean-up, I would be more than happy to change! Thanks for the condolences, it hasn't been easy, more nerve-wracking than anything, but I wouldn't change a thing as far as raising them...Four survived the birth and I wound up losing two...we were going to keep one in her honor, but I couldn't part with either one. They are my loves and proctectors! Thanks again guys and if you have any other suggestions, I am all ears!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts