Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog Bella a ten year old pit bull terrier had an injury on Saturday. No idea how it happened, I'm assuming since she was fine when she went to bed it occurred early in the morning when she hopped in and out of bed. When I noticed she wasn't getting out of bed around 10am I noticed something was wrong. I picked her up and brought her to the living room where I noticed she wasn't using her front leg with a bit of swelling.

Yesterday I noticed extreme swelling so took her to the vet for some X-rays, they also took some on Saturday when I originally noticed this. But the swelling doubled from Saturday til yesterday. In the xray they saw No broken bones. they couldn't feel any tendants torn. They did a lime test and everything negative. I have her on some pain killers and anti inflammatories however she's still in a tremendous amount of pain with a lot of swelling. The swelling on her front leg consumes her paw and a little bit above her carpal bone. Has anyone had similar experiences? I don't know what to do at this point.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to the replies!
Ashley

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not any sort of medical professional.

I would assume she has also been checked in the general area for wounds? If nobody noticed a spider bite, it could do similar things. She may have also sprained something; sprains don't really show up on imaging.

Did your vet suggest anything other than the medications to take the swelling down, such as cold compresses? With equine leg injuries, it can be easier just to cold hose down the swollen leg or have them step into a bucket of ice water.

I hope your old girl feels better soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah she's forever my little girl! Thanks for the response! But they did suggest possible sprain or partial ligament tear. I'm doing cold compresses often. I didn't see any bite marks or punctures on her. So I'm unsure If that's a possible cause. I just am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Unfortunately (of fortunately, however you want to see it) the only limb problem I ever had was when my first dog had growing pains so bad his front legs had to be put in splints (oh the early 90s XD).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds like an allergic reaction to me, as the vet didn't find damage. As another poster said...maybe a spider bite, or even a wasp or bee sting. Ask your vet, but maybe a benadryl pill can counteract the swelling/allergic reaction, if by chance that could be the problem....if anything it probably won't hurt to try. Ask though, as benadryl can make a dog sleepy...and if you are giving him pain meds...those can make dogs sleepy too. You need to make sure it's safe.

You can also see about taking a damp hand towel or two - put them in the freezer for fifteen minutes, then wrap the leg with one and maybe the cold can reduce some of the swelling.

Stormy

·
Registered
368 Posts
most allergic reactions are not painful. Bug bites rarely continue to worsen after the initial injury. Several things come to mind.. one is do you live in an area with rattlesnakes? Sure can cause a huge swelling that would be extremely painful and be worse day after day… but usually some external evidence (like an oozing wound). Two would be a severe soft tissue injury such as a tendon/ligament tear, but such an injury should respond at least in part to pain meds (like Rimadyl)… and lastly and most worrisome is though there is no fracture, bone tumors and other related tumors can be very painful and not show up initially as a fracture (though fracture is likely to result sooner or later)… and tend to show up in that spot. Good idea to get a second opinion on the radiographs if there is anything suspicious about the bone quality in them.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Back to the vet for sure! Has she had blood work done to check for signs of infection? Seems to me the vet has not figured this out yet and the increased swelling is cause for much concern. Back to the vet!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
most allergic reactions are not painful....
Maybe...most are not...but some allergic reactions are extremely painful...especially in the case of a bee or wasp sting. And a black widow bite could be quite painful and cause swelling too.

My dad had reactions to those...and after being stung by a wasp once on the top of the hand...his whole arm swelled up, clear to the elbow and he said it burned and ached....he could barely move his arm...nor his fingers...which were puffed up like thick sausages.

A rattlesnake bite, I think would spread past the leg and into other areas of the body causing a whole body reaction.

I would check with a vet first, of course, but I still think that giving a benadryl would be a safe thing to do, just in case it was an allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting or spider bite and not an injury.

Stormy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts