Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have documented Diva's issues with SA here numerous times. She is currently on Xanax and Prozac. She's been on the Prozac for about 4 months. The Xanax is for especially bad days.
Her SA has improved only slightly. I would say maybe 25%.

But now something new has popped up. The last 3 or 4 days she has been in a constant state of fear and anxiety. She shakes like a leaf. She pants. She wont go to either of her beds. She hasnt slept through the night. She can be sitting right next to me and she will be trembling and panting. I have no idea what it is. Last night I let her run at top speed for about 20 minutes (usually after about 5 minutes she'll be tired out) and it did absolutely nothing for her. The meds are doing nothing. The thundershirt does nothing. Being free or being crated does nothing. She cannot relax and her quality of life, at this point, must be simply awful.

Ive had her for 5 years. She's around 7 years old. I dont know how much longer I can do this. I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:( I am so sorry!!
As you said her quality of life at this point must be simply awful. I know you don't want to think about it, but I know, you already know what your going to have to do for her. :(
Such a sad situation, I really feel for you.
xx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( I am so sorry!!
As you said her quality of life at this point must be simply awful. I know you don't want to think about it, but I know, you already know what your going to have to do for her. :(
Such a sad situation, I really feel for you.
xx
Im really hoping it doesnt come to that. But Ive tried pretty much everything. She has taken over my entire life. Every single thing I do has to revolve around her and her mental state. I just dont know what to do.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Whats she like with other dogs?
Can the dog predict what will happen next each day as in do you have a very stable solid daily routine?
I think routine is a huge help with anxiety ridden dogs. I also find some do better if given a little mate to lean on(second dog).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats she like with other dogs?
Can the dog predict what will happen next each day as in do you have a very stable solid daily routine?
I think routine is a huge help with anxiety ridden dogs. I also find some do better if given a little mate to lean on(second dog).
She's really aggressive with other dogs. Ive tried numerous things to try and get her to be friendly with other dogs and they all failed. She did really well on the meds when we first started them and I considered trying again. Unfortunately her mental state recently started to deteriorate. Pretty rapidly.
I keep a pretty steady routine. I make sure to be around more on weekends but Mon-Fri is pretty standard.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is she aggressive with all other animals?
What breed is she again?
I have often found the meds only work so long & then they just not as useful anymore.
Tori was as you described when she got here, killed cats, fought dogs, wanted to kill any small breed dog or puppies, was in a constant state of anxiety & attacked several male family members.
It toke time, routine & her deciding I was dependable & able to shoulder the load for her I guess. Now she very needy but she lives with cats, small breeds & my SF can actually pat her these days, lol...
It was a very slow rd with plenty of backwards steps but the most powerful tool was routine & me being a loving yet firm & stable reliable owner.
Sorry I do not know of any magic bullets.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I would get a vet check done just to rule out a medical issue. Sudden behavior changes can indicate a problem. It does sound more anxiety and fear based, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the responses. Im taking her to the vet next week. I dont think it's a physical issue but at least I can talk to a professional and figure out what to do.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
In my experience, meds like Xanex (a benzodiazepam) can backfire in the long run. You can get a lot of "rebound" when the drug is not in use, that is the animal's baseline levels of anxiety are much increased when the drug is not in effect.
The animal also develops a tolerance for the drug, and then it takes a constant, and slowly increasing level of the drug just to maintain what ever is "normal" for the dog.

That said, I agree with others that a vet check is important right now, to see if there is any illness going on. My fearful dog certainly has more fears when he is not feeling well. Even a slightly upset stomach can alter his behavior in seemingly unrelated ways. I suspect that any illness raises the stress hormones slightly, which can then be at the root of behavior changes with these anxious dogs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
So sorry for you,it must be heartbreaking to deal with those issues!Can't add to the great replies,but as a chemist I know the benzodiazapam must be regularly monitored re dosage etc,whether in humans or animals.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
So sorry for you,it must be heartbreaking to deal with those issues!Can't add to the great replies,but as a chemist I know the benzodiazapam must be regularly monitored re dosage etc,whether in humans or animals.Good luck.
It is a drug that causes dependancy & therefor the tolerance goes up & more is needed to get the same affect.
I know in humans it will work as an anti anxiety in the beginning but in the long run I have actually found it can make things worse. The mood swings can be quite extreme in a dependant patient.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.