Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’ll try to keep this short. I have a dog Uhura and my boyfriend has a dog Misiek. Uhura and Misiek hate each other. Individually, each is a very sweet dog but they just can’t be in the same room! We’ve been living together with the dogs seperate for 1.5 years now and are just tiredness of it. We walk the dogs together sometimes and they do great with that. My vet thinks they’re both alphas. One other problem is that Uhura is injured. She’ll be getting surgery soon to fix the problem, so hopefully that will help. But Misiek just gets so erect and gets in uhura’s face all the time. When Uhura tells her to back off Misiek loses it and they fight.

Any advice? Uhura is a 60lb black lab mix and Misiek is a 90+ lb white German Shepard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dogs in the same pack fight for one reason only: because they do not have a strong pack leader. This is why establishing rules, boundaries, and limitations for the entire pack is important. If all of your dogs are looking to you as a leader, they will not be looking at each other as competition.

It’s also very important to walk your dogs together, side-by-side. Not only does the exercise help to lower their energy, and hence the impulse to fight, but by moving your dogs forward together it focuses them on a common goal instead of each other.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again, Thank you for the advice but like I mentioned, I do walk them together. Given, not as much as I should, but Uhura just got surgery for her injury and is recovering now.

I don't know what to do EXCEPT walk them together! So, If anyone has any more advice or needs more information, please comment!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts