Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new here.

We have a dog that is 12 years old (Kiara). She has been living together with her Mother ever since she was born. Her Mother had a stroke about a month ago and we had to put her to sleep. For the past 2 weeks now Kiara won't eat, barely drinks and just lays in the corner somewhere. She would normally eat anything! She has lost so much weight. She is a good size dog. Normally around 80 pounds but now she's about 55 pounds now. We have tried everything from can dog food, cat food, hamburger meat (cooked and raw) she ate yesterday about a 1/4 of a hotdog. but left everything else. I tried to give her another hotdog today but nothing. She is starving herself to death. I know there are medicines out there but do they really help? I mean I know she is hungry but has always been hard headed and now being depressed isn't helping. I think she has given up. We are trying to show her more attention. Last night we got another dog. Puppy about 12 weeks old. I have read that getting another dog can help. Kiara shows the new dog zero interest.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
You should probably take her to the vet to rule out any medical problems which might be making her lose appetite.

Reactions: crock and pkelley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry.

I forgot to mention that we took her to the vet already. She has no medical condition and overall healthy. This all happened after her Mother was no longer here.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I am hoping your new puppy will help. Exercise is very important for depression, it gets the brain chemistry feel good chemicals activated! So sorry but grieving takes a long time in certain situations. Can you take her to a dog park on a leash and get her really active??? So sad.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Try to coax her many times throughout the day if you can with a blob of peanut butter on your finger, unsalted sardines, bits of cheese, anything higher in calories so if she does take it, it will have some nutritional weight behind it!

Reactions: crock and pkelley

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'd try some Nutri-Cal to keep her from losing more weight and to help keep her nourished. I agree with the other suggestions of exercising her as well (nutri-cal is supposed to give them more energy too so it may help with getting her active). It is so sad to see a dog grieving :(

I hope the new puppy will help as well, although you will need to be patient - she will get used to him/her at her own pace, and sometimes it can take a few months.

Have you taken her to the vet since this significant weight loss started? Even if it is grief and she is otherwise healthy, I would expect the vet to at least have some suggestions on how to keep the weight on. That amount of weight she has lost in a month (over 30%) is tremendous, and I would be concerned that such a rapid weight loss in such a short period of time could have adverse effects on her health, regardless of the original cause.

·
Registered
103 Posts
im so sorry this is happening. have you tried boiled chicken and scrambled eggs..no milk. just trying to think of anything that might make her want to eat. i hope she comes around with the new puppy. do you still have something that smells like her mother? dog bed or anything that maybe she could snuggle with scent wise...not sure that would help just a thought. wishing you much luck with finding a solution.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
is she drinking? dehydration can be serious.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Ditto all. Especially, recs for hydration, Nutri-cal, and lots of outside time and fun outtings. I'm sorry for both of your loss. It must be heartbreaking to watch her go through this....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the replies. It is very hard on us. I of course am the stronger one but My Wife is worse. I also read that they can feel our emotions as well so we try not to show them.

She is drinking somewhat. We put a bucket of water outside since she doesn't drink from her bowl. Sometimes she will go to a little puddle in the garden and drink from that.

I have given her a little liverwurst pate (on the finger) and she ate it but only just a bit. When I tried to give her more (just like the hotdog) she just turns her nose away. I laid a piece of salami under her nose and she just move her head to another position. Of course the new puppy wanted it. I try to keep the puppy away when I'm trying to feed her so he doesn't get on her nerves.

We did try to go outside with her and walk with the new puppy. She is so weak though. Not eating and such, she has zero energy. She walked for a bit but then layed down in the middle of the trail. Kinda had to help her up and she walked back. Normally she runs!

My Wife is actually a Veterinary assistant. She has asked the vet to come by the house tomorrow and have a look. She told me that they even have prozak for dogs when it is extreme. I don't know if I want to give a dog prozak, but we are running out of options.

I am going to try the peanut butter on the finger tomorrow and see if she wants that.

Thanks again everyone!

Joe

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
If she can barely walk, I'd strongly recommend having your wife take her to work with her. Sounds like she needs some med intervention asap. I hope she is able to recover from this....

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think it's good that the vet will visit her. If she is that waek she may need some IV nutrition (I don't actually know if they do this for dogs, but they do it for humans) and possibly subcutaneous fluids. I would definitely get the Nutri-Cal - maybe your wife's vet carries it (but otherwise you can buy it at most pet stores, Petco/Petsmart, and 1800petmeds).

Also, my family's cat was on prozac for a while several years ago. When my youngest sister went to college he started peeing everywhere and hiding in the ceiling boards in our basement (signs of depression). He spent all his time with her before she left, so it was a big lifestyle change. I think he was on it for six months or so, and then they weened him off it and he was fine. So, you very likely wouldn't have her on it forever, but just to help her through this difficult time.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Please keep us posted on her progress. It really sounds like there is a medical condition happening and I am so glad the vet will be coming. Warm hugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the warm responses!! We just went outside again and she drank some and went pee-pee which is a good sign that she is at least drinking. I am going to sleep on the couch tonight next to her and the new pup. Going to bed soon. It is almost 9 pm here. I live in Germany. I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts