Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the Spring / Summer my working cocker has fallen in love with the water. She will take any opportunity to jump into the nearest pond / river / lake. At times (well, most of the time) she is very reluctant to get out (normal excellent recall goes out to the window - even when she appears to be getting cold.)

This has all been fine during the warmer weather but with Autumn on the horizon I am concerned about her doing this as it's getting colder. Do dogs have a natural instinct not to bound into cold water when it is cold weather? Or realistically am I going to have to avoid these situations, which could be problematic as I live next to the river. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.馃檪

Registered
Over the Spring / Summer my working cocker has fallen in love with the water. She will take any opportunity to jump into the nearest pond / river / lake. At times (well, most of the time) she is very reluctant to get out (normal excellent recall goes out to the window - even when she appears to be getting cold.)

This has all been fine during the warmer weather but with Autumn on the horizon I am concerned about her doing this as it's getting colder. Do dogs have a natural instinct not to bound into cold water when it is cold weather? Or realistically am I going to have to avoid these situations, which could be problematic as I live next to the river. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.馃檪
If the pond or lake freezes, then you would obviously not let your dog jump in, but if not, I also would be hesitant. The cold water, (if you live up north,) Is too cold for humans in the winter, so perhaps it is the same with dogs. To be honest, I would wait until warmer weather just to be safe.

Super Moderator
I've seen dogs swimming here all year round (I live on the East coast of Scotland) but personally I'd be trying to prevent it. And as @Cavochon3 says, definitely take precautions if it freezes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts