Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have two dogs, Molly and Jasper. Jasper can't go through the night without messing in the kitchen and now Molly has adopted the same pattern but what she does is whines but doesn't actually mess. How can I train the dogs to go to the toilet when they go for thier night time walk at 9:30pm and not go again until I get up at appx 6:30am.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you should try keeping them in a crate during the night. I know of many dog owners who do this for that very reason. Dogs usually do not like to mess where they sleep, so this should work for you. We strongly believe in crate training, it worked for us in helping to train our dog, and I am sure it will work for you to. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dogs are crated at night. It does work, if we left Mylo out during the night he would def. mess something anything he could get to, Zeppelin on the other hand would rather have her bladder burst than go in the house but she is agressive toward one of our cats so we keep crated as well. Actually Zeppelin loves her crate, when we cant find her around the house she is in her crate just chillin in there with whatever toys she has drug in there!! I used Mylos to house break him. It worked in a matter of days!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Crate training is great for house breaking a dog, we used it to train Xander as well. Another thing we would do was to take his water up at a certain time (say about 10pm) to help him hold it through the night. If you crate train them then they will whine to wake you up if they really have to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You need to give us some more information.

How is Jasper during the day?
How old is Jasper?
How long has this been going on?
When is the last time you give them water?
Has anything changed either in the household, or in their routine?

Without knowing all the details it is difficult to make suggestions.

If your dog is an older dog, he may possibly be having bladder problems, and should be check by your Vet. Crating him won't help if it is a physical problem. All that will do is to make him more upset that he is wetting in his bed.

You may consider withholding water in the evening and taking him out later.

These are just a couple of suggestions.

Good Luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
As suggested above crating would most likely be the best option, dogs won't go where they sleep but the kitchen is far to big a space, they can go in one corner and sleep in the other.

If they aren't sleeping through the night, that would also contribute to the issue, their system goes into hibernation for lack of a better while sleeping but once they get up most animals will require use of a bathroom right away, if they can't get let out then they will use the available space.

Good luck
Adrian

·
Registered
98 Posts
I crated both my dogs when they were younger, but now my 15 month old is gated in the laundry room, with a blanket and water bowl and she does great there. Roxie, my pom, is 4 1/2 and she is gated between where the kids rooms and the bathroom is. She has her bed and a toy there. She was pooping anywhere in the house before I could get to her, but now she is more calm, and loves it. She doesn't tolerate crating well. My puppy is crated with his blanket and puppy pads, but he is very young. As long they are content and a schedule is made. sometimes you have to change things around before it works for everyone, if you know what I mean. Did I make sense or was I babbling. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great points all around apcarls,

Crate don't always work for all dogs and sometimes you have to modify the method to ensure that your dog is as comfortable as is reasonable.

Some dogs will never be crateable so as suggested below you can use baby gates to cordon of an area, I myself have never had a problem crating a pup...older rescue dogs I have seen with issues to crating.

Regards
Adrian

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recommend you Litter Box !

You should go for litter box which is hygienic for your dogs and simple and convenient for you.

The practical double latch on the upper casing makes it easy to insert the nylon bag for the sand into the bottom of the litter box, facilitating cleaning and sand replacement even further.

:p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two dogs, an 8 year old terrier mix and a 5 year old Min Pin. We have an invisible fence and it on a three acre property. The dogs can come and go as they please.

The Min Pin is the problem. He is not neutered. He urinates in about 5 different places every day in my house. This is causing a very bad smell in certain rooms in the house. I am constantly washing slip covers, and spraying the areas he marks.

We work all day but they get a lot of attention because my mother lives in an in law apartment attached to the house so she is constantly giving the dogs treats etc.

Not sure what do do. I never actually see the dog urinating so it's difficult to correct him.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
In regards to crating. My Fizz is a 12 week old Duck Toller. When we goto work during the day and sleep at night I put him down in the basement with Puppy pads in the corner. He used the pads all the time wich really helps keep the area clean. I wonder about crating him though. I have heard that 4 hours shold be the max for him to be ina crate, so I dont think that would really be fair to the dog. We are gone 8-10 hours a day. Any suggestions on this would be great. I also dont think he could hold his bladder that long and would then pee and poop in the crate, wich I think wouldnt be a good thing. When we are home he is awsome and only goes out in the back yard. Thank Gawd lol

Thanx
Tim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Honestly, how do you think the dog feels being locked up in the basement for practically 24hrs a day! Why do you have a dog at all?! Put yourself in its place and go and sit in the basement for almost 24 hours a day and tell us how you feel. Do you think this is fair to the dog? How can you even consider crating him too!! You obviously have no time to have a pet so please do the right thing and give the dog to someone who would take care of him and love him.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Only thing I suggest is neutering your dog before it reaches this point. I dont know how to break a dog of doing this other than how you would break a pup of going in the house..pick him up and put him outside when he does it. I dont know if this will work if hes older tho....but worth a shot

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honestly, how do you think the dog feels being locked up in the basement for practically 24hrs a day! Why do you have a dog at all?! Put yourself in its place and go and sit in the basement for almost 24 hours a day and tell us how you feel. Do you think this is fair to the dog? How can you even consider crating him too!! You obviously have no time to have a pet so please do the right thing and give the dog to someone who would take care of him and love him.
Woah a little off the rocker there. I am just askin a question looking for advise. I am not considering crating my dog I am just simply asking a question. I have only had my dog for three weeks. He is in the basement in a large area with toys water and everything. There is nothing there for him to get into trouble with. I hear on here abour people crating there dogs when they leave and wonder how long they are leaving there dogs in a crate for. Whats the other option??? Give him free run off the house and tear it apart? And 24 hours a day???? You dont know what your talking about. I only work 4 days a week and I only sleep for 5 hours at night. When i am not at work I spend the entire day with my dog. And my girlfriend also has days off and spends just as much time with the dog. I most definately take care of him and love him. Wow I cant beleive you have flown off the handle like this. I am a new dog owner and trying to learn and do the best thing for my dog. Once he is older and can handle himself he can have full run of the house. You should consider finding out some details befor you jump down someones throat like that. I take GREAT care of my dog and there is absolutely nothing wrong with what I am doing. If you have nothing positive to add to the topic I'll thank you to keep your negative opinion to yourself thank you.

Tim

·
Registered
91 Posts
In regards to crating. My Fizz is a 12 week old Duck Toller. When we goto work during the day and sleep at night I put him down in the basement with Puppy pads in the corner. He used the pads all the time wich really helps keep the area clean. I wonder about crating him though. I have heard that 4 hours shold be the max for him to be ina crate, so I dont think that would really be fair to the dog. We are gone 8-10 hours a day. Any suggestions on this would be great. I also dont think he could hold his bladder that long and would then pee and poop in the crate, wich I think wouldnt be a good thing. When we are home he is awsome and only goes out in the back yard. Thank Gawd lol

Thanx
Tim
Tim, you said in your post that you were gone 8-10 hours a day.. that you have your dog in the basement at night... So the dog to me seems to be on his own almost 24 hours. Then you mention "crate". I really find anything that keeps the dog in isolation or restricted for ANY period of time to be cruel. Tim, I realize that you and your girlfriend have to go to work but then why have a dog? What would you do with a baby? Put it in the basement?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I have two dogs, an 8 year old terrier mix and a 5 year old Min Pin. We have an invisible fence and it on a three acre property. The dogs can come and go as they please.

The Min Pin is the problem. He is not neutered. He urinates in about 5 different places every day in my house. This is causing a very bad smell in certain rooms in the house. I am constantly washing slip covers, and spraying the areas he marks.

We work all day but they get a lot of attention because my mother lives in an in law apartment attached to the house so she is constantly giving the dogs treats etc.

Not sure what do do. I never actually see the dog urinating so it's difficult to correct him.

Any suggestions?
Crate train him for when your not home and supervise him when you are.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Tim, you said in your post that you were gone 8-10 hours a day.. that you have your dog in the basement at night... So the dog to me seems to be on his own almost 24 hours. Then you mention "crate". I really find anything that keeps the dog in isolation or restricted for ANY period of time to be cruel. Tim, I realize that you and your girlfriend have to go to work but then why have a dog? What would you do with a baby? Put it in the basement?

Crate training is cruel then? Putting a dog in a part of the house so he can't hurt himself is cruel? I think you need to backup a bit because your probably insulting the greater majority of owners on this board..including me.

dogs sleep 16 hours A DAY. I see nothing wrong with a dog being home for 8-10 several days a week.

I have a full time job and im sure many others do... if i'm not mistaken his dog is a rescue...i'd rather see a dog in a working home than dead.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Before I read this litter box reply I would have whole heartedly agreed with the crate training. Its my first time using the method and its great. At first it wasn't working because I figured out he had too much room inside. He had room to use one side as potty side and the other side to sleep. So I filled in one side for a couple nights with an empty box, now he either wakes me up by whining or holds it. I'm so proud of him.

But, I am also lazy so I'm wondering...

You should go for litter box which is hygienic for your dogs and simple and convenient for you.
About this method for my 8 wk old chihuahua x pup
He's doing okay with the crate/house training tho. I have had him only a couple weeks. I'm thinking it wouldn't be wise to switch methods...
What do you think? (anyone lol)
Also what is the smell factor here? Even kitties can be pretty stinky! :eek:

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.