Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an eight-month old puppy. The last dog I had in my house (he was here about 6 months) was deaf. My only other dog before that died when I was 24 (my childhood dog--had her when I was 10-24 yrs old).

I've been 'in to' animals for most of my life (spent time with horses in childhood), but it wasn't till fairly recently (the past couple years) that I found out that dogs' sense of hearing is far keener than that of humans.

Music is a huge part of my life. I play harp, and occasionally piano. So, not too loud. Puppy doesn't react to either. But I also listen to music several hours a day, normally.

My puppy, whom I've had for almost 4 months, shows no reaction, that I can see, to any music I play live, or to any recorded music: a Mozart piano sonata; Kate Bush; Sex Pistols; Abdel Halim Hafiz; Bob Dylan....

Nevertheless, I worry. Because I do play my CDs loud--if the music doesn't fill the room, what's the point?

Is it alright to play anything at any volume in your dog's hearing?

·
Administrator
1,749 Posts
I have an eight-month old puppy. The last dog I had in my house (he was here about 6 months) was deaf. My only other dog before that died when I was 24 (my childhood dog--had her when I was 10-24 yrs old).

I've been 'in to' animals for most of my life (spent time with horses in childhood), but it wasn't till fairly recently (the past couple years) that I found out that dogs' sense of hearing is far keener than that of humans.

Music is a huge part of my life. I play harp, and occasionally piano. So, not too loud. Puppy doesn't react to either. But I also listen to music several hours a day, normally.

My puppy, whom I've had for almost 4 months, shows no reaction, that I can see, to any music I play live, or to any recorded music: a Mozart piano sonata; Kate Bush; Sex Pistols; Abdel Halim Hafiz; Bob Dylan....

Nevertheless, I worry. Because I do play my CDs loud--if the music doesn't fill the room, what's the point?

Is it alright to play anything at any volume in your dog's hearing?
Hi.

Clearly not. If it’s loud to you, just think about how ear splitting it must be to your puppy. You could be (read, will be) damaging his hearing.

Have you had him checked by a vet for hearing problems?

Reactions: Buzzu2 and JoanneF

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that's what I'm saying. ??? I'm not sure where the miscommunication was.

I've played my music much more quietly since I've had my dog, and often just on earphones.

How do you combine a love of music with a love of dogs, when you do play music out loud?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

My question is about volume in general. How do you reconcile a dog and a musical life, I suppose, is my question?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incidentally, my childhood dog loved music. She had specific songs (mostly Beatles songs) that she would 'sing' along with. There was no training involved, she just had her songs.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think part of the miscommunication is that, "loud...fills the room" can be subjective.

Loud as in you can feel it in your bones and outside?
Or loud as in you can hear it as you walk around the room?

As a fellow music lover, this is what I do to gauge:

1) Where are my dog's ears at when they are relaxed and it's quiet? If my music makes them move their ears (such as slightly back) I turn it down significantly.

2) Could I have a normal conversation-no raised voices or repeats-at this volume?

3) How well.do I hear the music in the next room?

And as an aside, the dog has the ability to leave.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think part of the miscommunication is that, "loud...fills the room" can be subjective.

Loud as in you can feel it in your bones and outside?
Or loud as in you can hear it as you walk around the room?

As a fellow music lover, this is what I do to gauge:

1) Where are my dog's ears at when they are relaxed and it's quiet? If my music makes them move their ears (such as slightly back) I turn it down significantly.

2) Could I have a normal conversation-no raised voices or repeats-at this volume?

3) How well.do I hear the music in the next room?

And as an aside, the dog has the ability to leave.
As I say, my dog has never showed any reaction either way. She can sleep through anything, as well. So maybe I'm being over-scrupulous.

So, should I only worry if my dog shows signs of distress? I guess that's my question, as she never has, but I just worry whenever I listen to music.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi.

Clearly not. If it’s loud to you, just think about how ear splitting it must be to your puppy. You could be (read, will be) damaging his hearing.

Have you had him checked by a vet for hearing problems?
Well I don't know. I mean, I don't play things at ear-splitting levels. 'Loud' is subjective, obviously. I suppose that i don't consider it loud, but my mother does, when she visits. I see my mother a lot, so maybe I was over-exaggerating the noise level.

Again, my puppy has never shown any sign of distress. On the contrary, she sleeps through it all...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I wouldn't wait for her to show signs of discomfort. In cases like that, I'd use points 2 & 3 to help gauge. With 2, keep in mind average levels of conversation.

If it makes you feel better, turn it down a notch or two. Maybe check out a decibel meter. But, anecdotally, following my list from childhood on, none of the dogs went deaf early.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My husband is somewhat hearing impaired (he's only 39, but spends a lot of time around loud equipment). He loves music and - for him to hear it - it has to be loud. It gives me anxiety at such volumes... but then again, I'm an RN and my job depends on my hearing. When I am home, I often ask him to turn the TV and / or music down.

Long story short, the dogs either don't mind or have gotten used to it (it's been this loud since they were pups). It is so "normal" for them that they sometimes whine or pace when it's silent in the house. In the end, it's all about your lives together. If they don't seem scared, painful, or run for cover, then I'm sure it's fine. Mine fall asleep with volumes that annoy me. I'm sure someone will have something to say about this, but - if your dog goes about life as normal when it's "loud" and you're enjoying your hobbies, then it's probably just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts