Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have recently begun getting mixed information about the usage of essential oils on myself or in a diffuser and dogs. Some sources say they are safe as long as you aren't diffusing or using on your dog or letting your dog lick you after using them while others say don't use period if you own dogs. I have started using these products based on several recommendations from my own doctors because none of the traditional chemical medications that I was on were making my problems any better but worse. While the oils have greatly helped my medical problems if they are unsafe to use around my puppies I will stop using these. Any information anyone has would be much appreciated thank you all!

·
Registered
233 Posts
You are not asking the right question in my opinion. The question isn’t “are oils safe” but “which oils are safe” and “which uses are safe.” For example I had a vet recommend lavender oil (diluted of course) on the paw pads of my cat. But there is evidence that eucalyptus oil defused around cats can cause seizures and death. Two completely different oils from two completely different plants used two completely different ways; one safe, one deadly.

I suggest researching each individual oil. If you can’t find reliable info on the specific OIL then research the PLANT it comes from. For example, Tea Tree products (melaleuca) are not safe for birds, so I naturally do not use the oil around my parrots. However melaleuca oil can be used to treat various problems in my fish tank.

I’ve never heard of any specific oils being dangerous around dogs, but NEVER apply oil to a dog directly without consulting a vet first! The same goes for ingestion; don’t feed oils to any animal without consulting a vet even if the oil is labeled “edible.”

I use oils as a cornerstone to my anxiety and depression management, and I do so with a dog, cat, parrots, fish, and human family. I check any new oils with my vet, but the general rule is “if the plant is safe the oil is safe” as far as diffusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I don't use the oils on my pets but on myself mostly topically but sometimes will diffuse at times as well. So I was mainly searching for any valid information on which ones are safe to have in a pet house hold. I've spoken with many vet friends as well who all have different opinions ranging from if the plant is safe go ahead and diffuse and use it to if the plant isn't safe don't use or diffuse around your pet or let them near you after applying the oil to yourself and wash up after applying. I've always used caution and wash up well after applying and don't allow my pets to lick or touch me for a good couple hours after applying just to be safe and I ensure I leave a window or door cracked open if the diffuser is going.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts