Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so most of you probably remember when I first joined and I was talking about teaching my puppy that you aren't allowed to kill chickens.

Well so far she hasn't but she has gotten into chasing them a bit, a duck went after her and that seemed to scare her but she still does chase them and I'm worried when she get's bigger that the ducks and chickens won't fight back and she'll start to kill.

So when I'm outside with her and she's prancing around and barking what should I do? How do I show her I don't like her doing it and I mean business?

I've read some, how could I put, ''interesting'' methods on the internet such as tying the chicken it kills around it's neck until it rots and to ignore the dog for a week :eek: Yeah right! Plus I'm hoping we won't get to the stage where she will actually kill one.

Oh and my Dad said we will try everything before we have to give her away :D Before he was saying once she kills something she's out of here but I guess she grew on him.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Oh that is a horrible method -I know you wouldn't do that, but wow-some people must!! That's awful.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah they do because I was googling about different methods and came across that on a forum! There was some other crazy ones too...oh yeah someone put spurs on a rooster and tied the rooster in the yard so when the puppy tried to attack it, the puppy got torn up :eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I had chickens my cocker loved to chase them he never hurt any but he'd run the legs off of them almost. Anyhow since I also have horses, I always have a stock whip handy when he would start chasing I would crack the whip. I never touched him with it but the sound of it cracking got his attention. Several episodes of me cracking the whip seemed to do the trick he never bothered with the chickens anymore.
It also works well for relentlessly barking dogs..or at least for mine and the neighbors...3 am all barking won't let me sleep I step out on the back porch give it a good crack wait a few seconds they bark I crack about 3 times and all is quiet.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I taught two of the dogs to leave the Chickens alone using aversion. But Its not som'thing I recommend you try without a trainer present. It has to be done a certain way.

or you can fly me to ireland and I can show you...lmao

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.