Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi, Aliza! I’m going to join the club of “there was a time I felt threatened by my dog” to offer some empathy and reassurance. It was right about the 10 month mark, my dog was a GSD mix, I was a first time handler. I was lucky to find a good trainer to help me out with a few tips and a lot of support, it made all the difference for me.

It does sound like fast escalation, I think @Shadowfox has a good point about the vet check just in case (also because you did just have a sick cat in the household), and about the importance of understanding and support for yourself.

The other thing that comes to mind is that if you changed your own behavior abruptly, even if it’s a change in the right direction, this can sometimes be confusing for the dog and cause some reactions to escalate. Something very similar to what @BigBlackDog suggested in your other thread is what worked for me and my dog, but the devil is in the details, and it’s good to have a clear plan, a final goal, but also intermediate steps, management strategies for what to do if things “get worse before they get better”, and ideally, some guidance and feedback.

Can you minimize conflict and avoid triggers for a few days? Like, do the cleaning and picking things up while she’s away, if that riles her up? Suspend petting and play for the moment? Give her calming things to do, like chews you don’t have to take away, and in a safe place? Be hands off towards the evening and have your boyfriend take over later in the day etc.?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts