Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog Bentley, a mini dachshund, acts really weird when I take him to visit my friends. At home he is pretty much perfect. He doesn't bark. Neighbors walk their dog back and forth in front of the window and Bentley will only watch them. He also is ok with someone knocking at the door. He doesn't bark but he will by the door and is first to greet any guest.
Whenever I go to visit my friends, Bentley is a totally different dog. He sits on my feet or leaned up against me the while time pretty much. He will also stand at the window and bark at anyone who walks past or if anything gets too close. He will bark at the door.
I don't understand why he does this. When my friends visit me he is totally fine with it.. Is he scared when at someone else's house? What should I do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jroyalimage, you have answered your own question in a way. Bentley is 'by the door and FIRST to greet the guest'. If he is allowed to greet newcomers first he has therefore a leading position. He is physically (and psychologically) unable to fulfil that role in the human 'world'. The result is that when he is not in his comfort zone at home he becomes anxious and stressed. He will be nervous, possessive of you and do his best to assert himself and keep others away. If you want tips to ease or change this situation I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes, it`s a new environment and he probably just feels uncertain. How often do you take him to visit?

Try to make the experience as positive as possible, take some super tasty treats with you and have your friends feeds them to him.... play fun games with him there, something like that.

Unless there`s something serious going on, I think it will just take some time for him to get used to to going to places ... lots of positive practice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts