Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is almost here, and I want Biscuit to get over his hate of water. What better way than a doggy wading pool! A hard plastic one, like I used to use when I was really little. Except I can't find what I'm looking for online! Do any of you guys know where I can get a doggy wading pool, or what I can use as one? Thanks!:D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just as a word of warning, some dogs just plain don't like water. I guess you can get most of them to to tolerate it, but some just won't ever enjoy it. That's not to say you shouldn't try, but be aware! Some of my breeders dogs are that way. Some of them love jumping into water, and some will stay as far away from it as possible. Even with her litter mates one of them loves swimming and the other will only begrudgingly get in if you coax her with hot dogs :p I am happy that both of mine ended up enjoying it!

My guess is that you'll have more luck finding what you're looking for in a store as the weather warms. Those things are big enough that it seems like it would be a pain in the butt to order online and ship!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try Walmart, the hardware store possibly?
Okay, that's a good idea. I'll give it a shot. I wanted to do this last year, but I got to it too late. By August, no stores sell pools anymore! :eek: Not this year! This year, I'm on time! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I already see them being sold at local grocery stores, wal-marts, targets, etc. And closer to summer Petsmart by me sells them. But I'd probably get whatever was cheaper. Like someone said though, he still might not like the water. In my experience even dogs that don't like water in a pool/bath like playing with water from the hose. It seems like for some dogs the spraying stream is less scary and more fun than the thought of being dunked in a pool! Maybe he would like that better.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I got mine at Dollar General.

It's really important to dump them out every day after use...I found this out the hard way. Left mine overnight and it instantly became populated with disgusting mosquito larvae =( Fortunately got to it before Quenya had time to jump in.

Reactions: zoorun

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I've seen them at Wal-Mart and Family Dollar. Good luck, I got one for my two former dogs and neither of them would use it. Both of the brats preferred the muddy creek, or a puddle. I think the common theme might have been mud and if I had filled the bottom of the pool with dirt they may have used it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i use a babies plastic sandpit..i actually keep it for when i have ducklings, then by the summer the ducklings are too big and the dogs use it to sit in to cool off :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all! Just so it's clear, I don't want to force Biscuit into the water, I want to encourage him to love it with treat and praise.
Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
My dog practically lives in it during the summer time. She's such a water baby. I made the mistake to wait until June/July to look for one. It was the hardest thing to find! I'm sure if I wanted to order it online, I could, but the shipping would be annoying and I wasn't sure of the materials. So it's good you're starting to look now! I've seen them starting to pop up at places like Walmart and CVS. I would also look at Toys R Us, Home Depot, hardware stores. I finally found one at a hardware store last year. XD

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I got mine at Walmart a few years ago. Lady will hop in for a splash several times a day in the summer. Mia will go in, but is more elegant and just stands or walks around in it to cool down.

DSCN1442 (2).jpg

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got his pool today! Thanks all for letting me know where to look, I got it form a local Wall-greens type store. Of all days for it to be 54 degrees and rainy...

Reactions: fruit loop
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.