Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am addicted to grooming my dogs' paws.

It started with nail trimming. I started to help out in the grooming salon at my work, and to gain more practice with nail trims, I started doing my own two dogs' nails at home. I use regular nail trimmers, plus the dremol to round them out afterwards.

Our adopted dog, Riley, always had extremely long nails. We took him to get his nails cut in the beginning and we could barely tell the difference. They told us his nails were so grown out that they really can't cut much off. We just accepted it (we were newer dog owners at the time) and I've only recently been told as long as you cut a tiny bit off every couple of weeks, the kwik gets smaller, allowing you to take more off.

Thus, I finally have his nails down to a normal length and I'm so happy about it! No more clicking on the wooden floors.

I also bought a small shaver meant for paws so I can trim the fur around the paw pads. After doing that, I applied musher's secret to smooth out and soften the pads. I have to say, their paws look immaculate. :D

If you don't do this for your dog, you should! It's so much fun and looks great! I also think they enjoy the pampering :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wish my dogs enjoyed getting their nails cut. My Chihuahua is fearful and I finally stopped getting him to bite me. My JRT doesn't enjoy it but he'll tolerate it

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, they don't really enjoy the clipping part. But I think they enjoy how nice their feet feel when I'm all done :)

I do have to leash them and hook them into place. They tolerate it because they know they have to. Luckily they are manageable unlike some doggy clients I've experienced at work.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Pawdicure indeed! Of course their feet deserve pampering!!
Molly my Darling princess of a Poodle get the full treatment every wee.....She is properly poodle pawdicured! (and bathed and shaved and blow dried in the proper poodle fashion)
Shaved feet, dremeled nails, and a different color nail polish to match her many collars! HAHAHA!!

And although she looks quite the foo foo girl she's the best gopher hunter in the neighborhood! LOL! (And never even chips a nail LOL!);)

Attachments

Reactions: srelizabeth

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So cute and festive! How long does it take to paint her nails? She stands still while they dry? Lol. My pups are both boys so no nail painting for them

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Molly nails are done while laying down either on the floor or on the couch. Grooming her feet is something that has been done to her since she was a puppy so she is quite used to it and stays pretty still while each paw is done, then dried with a blow drier set on cool at low speed. It takes about 30 mins start to finish.......a long time but she is soooo good about it!
I like doing it because it makes people smile............people take pictures of her feet with their phones all the time! LOL! Little girls and grown men seem to be fascinated most Hahaha!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts