Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you wake your dog up if he is whining/growling in his sleep? I know dogs spend less time in deep REM sleep than we do, so they need to sleep more - so I leave them go.

Do your dogs dream vocally?

My beagle Brody had quite the exciting day yesterday - took him to daycare and to a new dog park. I was expecting him to dream heavily and sure enough he has been making some silly sounds and twitching a lot more in his sleep...so cute :p

I often wonder what dogs dream about...if I had to guess, he often dreams of chasing squirrels.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Definitely yes! Bri growls, whines and barks (not full volume, but kind of like a suppressed bark) in her sleep, not to mention the running and tail wagging :D
I don’t wake up from it though, even though she is sleeping right next to me (off the bed in her dog bed called “NightNight” ;) ).

My husband, to the question what she might be dreaming about, just said: “I bet she dreams of you”. I found that very cute. :)

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I'll have to video him one day after a couple of hours of chasing gophers. He craters in the car, legs kicking, little woofs. It's cute. I've often wondered how their day plays out during sleep.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Definitely yes! Bri growls, whines and barks (not full volume, but kind of like a suppressed bark) in her sleep, not to mention the running and tail wagging :D
I don’t wake up from it though, even though she is sleeping right next to me (off the bed in her dog bed called “NightNight” ;) ).

My husband, to the question what she might be dreaming about, just said: “I bet she dreams of you”. I found that very cute. :)
Very cute indeed :)

Brody burrows under my blankets and sleeps right against me, so some nights when he is dreaming and kicking it wakes me up. That's the only time I nudge him awake, he usually just re-positions and goes back to bed :p

Edit: The tail wagging during sleep has only happened on a couple of rare occasions, but I think it's by far the cutest friggin thing ever! Cuter than all the barks and the whines and the growls combined. Seriously, I would LOVE to know what on earth they dream about that makes them wag their tail.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to video him one day after a couple of hours of chasing gophers. He craters in the car, legs kicking, little woofs. It's cute. I've often wondered how their day plays out during sleep.
Adorable! I *always* wish I had my phone on me when my dogs start to do that so I can record it. Usually it's too far out of my reach that by the time I get it and turn it on the dog wakes up lol.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Amusing, Samantha often has very active and vocal dreams. I wish she could tell us what she dreams of, and I have asked her, but she won't tell. Sometimes she is on her side, legs look like they are in a dead run, sometimes accompanied by yelps and growls.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Beagle, Pikey, who starts dreaming as soon as he goes to sleep (which only takes about three or four minutes.) From his sleeping movements, I think he dreams he is running and barking; maybe chasing something. The sounds he makes are not very loud and they don't indicate any discomfort. So I just let him dream on/

·
Registered
64 Posts
My dog makes more noise while sleeping then when awake. Haha. its cute. My older son talks in his sleep and they are best buddies.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah I usually give them a gentle pat , my two can get quite loud when dreaming, it sounds like they are in pain sometimes, so that's when I usually wake them up.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Sometimes, HaHa while sleeping...he will, out of the blue, let out a LOUD, drawn out howl...as if he's in pain. It scares the ever living bejabbers out of me when he does it.

I don't wake him up, at least until after his howl his done...he kind of whimpers a little afterwards, and I'll talk to him until my voice sinks into his awareness and he wakes up. I would like to just wake him up fast, but just don't know if that would be the right thing to do...the shock of going from a ?bad dream? to seeing me all of a sudden...he might connect the two and think I'm the one responsible.

At least that is what goes through my mind when I want to reach out and touch him to wake him up while he's howling.

Stormy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts