Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble finding out what to use to hang on the doggy door. Everything I have tried so far they have managed to tear off. Hard to keep heated inside with nothing closing off the doggy door. Now that our cold weather has arrived my dogs do spend most of their time in the house with me but there are a few times when I may be gone for a short time that I would like to have them outside. They are all adults mostly poodle and do have lots of coat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am having trouble finding out what to use to hang on the doggy door. Everything I have tried so far they have managed to tear off. Hard to keep heated inside with nothing closing off the doggy door.
Are you using home made flaps, such as a piece of carpet or plywood? Or do you have a manufactured dog door with magnetic weatherstripping?

One of my friends has a manufactured dog door which came with an additional fitted plastic cover she can place over the flaps when she wants to stop the dogs from using the dog door.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is a homemade doggy door so I have been using a heavy piece of carpet, haven't used plywood but may try that. Thanks.
Yeah, I can see how carpet strips might have durability problems. I bet it moves slightly in the breeze, attracting their attention, and then they start playing with it like a tug toy. Maybe you could replace the carpet with plywood or plexiglass. You could stop it from swaying by using a cabinet door magnet kit. Mount the metal plate inside the frame of the doggy door and the magnet on the flap. Just keep an eye on the doggos; you don't want them eating the magnet if they continue chewing the door.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know if I did not have my 9 month old Poodle pup out there it would not be a problem with the other three. I also wondered if I went to the Pet Store and bought some of that NO CHEW spray whether that would work. We just had five inches of wet snow last night so they won't be out there for a while as I am not going anywhere, not because I can't drive in the snow but too many on the road with our first snow that can't.

Thanks for the hints.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know if I did not have my 9 month old Poodle pup out there it would not be a problem with the other three. I also wondered if I went to the Pet Store and bought some of that NO CHEW spray whether that would work. We just had five inches of wet snow last night so they won't be out there for a while as I am not going anywhere, not because I can't drive in the snow but too many on the road with our first snow that can't.

Thanks for the hints.
LOL, people don't realize how mouthy poodle puppies are until they get one. I hang my leashes on hooks next to the door. One of my adolescents used to amuse himself by hanging onto one of the dangling leashes and swinging from it.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Just buy a premade one with the thick plastic door. Shawly they wouldnt chew that?
I think Beardogjesse is correct in this.

If you got one that has a heavy plastic flap with magnets on the edges so that it snaps back into place over the door it would keep the outside air out, and wouldn't be convenient at all for the dog to chew because the flap would not be hanging loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts