Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A doggy daycare opened up in the business park where I work. I was seriously considering bringing Aspen there one or two days per week. I figure it's nice and close and why have her be home alone when she can run around? I was planning on taking a tour this week but... a guy I work with came in this morning and said there was a small dog running around the main road. The road is VERY busy, especially in the morning. I grabbed my keys and a woman I work with and I went off to see if we could catch the pup. I did hear tags in the woods for a bit, then nothing. As we were getting ready to leave and call AC, two cars pulled in. Apparently, the dog slipped under a fence at the daycare. They have been open for about 10 days... I feel like this shouldn't have happened. The fences should be buried deep enough so dogs can't dig out and certainly so small dogs can't slip out. Maybe I'm being too critical, accidents happen, but I definitely don't feel comfortable bringing Aspen there now. I really want to know if they find the dog... I'm going to worry all day :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have taken my dogs to daycare for years. If the daycare is well run (my trainer owns and operates the one we go to), it's a great way for your dog to get exercise and socialization.

That said, I would feel exactly like you do if a small dog slipped through a fence. That's unacceptable and negligent. What if the poor thing gets hit by a car? Lost? Stolen? The owners are entrusting the daycare with their beloved pet and it's the responsibility of the daycare to keep the dog safe. Personally, I think fences should be checked regularly to make sure they are in good repair and will contain the dogs.

In my experience, some signs of a good daycare:
- adequate staff to dog ratio
- individual evaluation/screening of new dogs before admitting them to daycare
- dogs are walked in and out of play area on leash and made to walk nicely
- isolated kennel areas to remove a dog if a problem arises
- good relationship with a veterinary clinic in case of an emergency

As I said before, my dog trainer runs the daycare I take my dogs to and I trust her completely. She personally screens every dog who wants to attend and then approves/denies. She also tries to reinforce training and good habits while the dogs are at the daycare.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Noooooooooope. I would not bring either of my dogs there.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reinforcing my feelings.

I was thinking maybe I was being overly harsh because the kennel that I bring Aspen to when I go out of town is AMAZING! She is constantly reinvesting in the business to upgrade things and make sure everyone is safe and happy.

I know accidents can happen but I just feel like after being open for 10 days?? Idk... I really hope they call the owner sooner rather than later. I would want to be called right away because my dog is more likely to come to me if she's scared than anyone else.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh, that is no good at all. How can they reassure owners that they have their stuff together when that happen 10 days in. Definitely wouldn't bring Aspen there. At least not for a while. Let them iron out the kinks first.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@jclark343 - that's a great point. I tend to make hasty, emotional decisions haha... but you bring up a good point that I don't necessarily need to write them off completely but give them time to figure stuff out. I have learned that the owners are in Florida on vacation. I guess this place does overnight boarding as well.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Gaps in exterior fencing shouldn't be discovered because a dog slips though one. Dog containment has to be a top priority. I wouldn't give them a pass on this failure just because they recently opened.

I've never been a fan of dog day cares. The only way I would even consider one is if they had live web cam that I could watch for a few weeks, off and on, before leaving my dog.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We found him!

He ran past my company and someone saw him out the window. Myself and two other co-workers ran out there. That little guy was FAST! He was already down the street when we got outside. I ran down the street, knowing that he was cornering himself. 5 vehicles were driving in the neighborhood and followed when they saw us running. We were able to corner him and get him. He's scared and dirty but SAFE! :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Thank god! Great jobs! Hope the day care tells the owners what happened.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@jclark343 - they are, which I do give them credit for. I didn't even ask but she said she was calling the owners tonight. She said they would be upset (understandably) but they needed to know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts