Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am planning on opening my own doggy day care, probably in the next 3-5 years. Saving up money, trying to find a place, those sort of variables.
I am currently working a corporate job as a Pricing Coordinator, and looking to leave. But I don't want to get just any job. Whatever I move on to next will be a "stepping stone" in the direction of owning my own business.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an industry or business that I should try to work at, that would benefit me in the next 3-5 years? I just don't want to waste mine, or anyone else's time.

Thanks!
Carmen Rodriguez

·
Registered
501 Posts
As a business owner I have seen LOTS of people fail...not cuz they are not good at what they do but cuz they are bad a running a business.

Being good at a skill is not the same as running a business based on that skill and that is where most fail to recognize the distinction thus fail.

Start learning everything you can about business execution, sales and marketing.

Here is a MUST read IMO for anyone thinking about being an entrepreneur based on a skill:

https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Revisited-Small-Businesses-About/dp/0887307280

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you think you want to own a doggy daycare, go work in one now, is the advice I'd give.

I see a lot of doggy day cares have issues not necessarily in that they're not bringing in money but because they don't know enough about dogs.

Work in a kennels environment. Find daycares that can give you dog knowledge. Learn about dog behavior, creating playgroups, reading dog body language, how to tell when play is too aggressive, what do do when play gets too aggressive, etc.

I also agree with getting good at running a business.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts