Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing on behalf on my neighbour, hoping to find out if there is any assistance or advice available for him. He is an avid animal lover and completely besotted with his little doggy, who he adopted several years ago. Unfortunately, his fury friend was diagnosed with nasal cancer, making living very difficult indeed. He was told that the best treatment would be radiation therapy (a four/five week course), however, they do not perform this type of treatment here (outside the US). Thus, he has taken a big loan from the bank, and wants to travel to the US (as soon as possible) to carry out the treatment. He can pay for the treatment and flights himself, but is looking for somewhere to stay (pet friendly, obviously!), as he cannot afford everything all together! So far, we have been told that radiation treatment can be carried out in NY (The AMC Manhattan), or Penn University in Pennsylvania - though there must be other places too. The AMC in Manhattan have agreed to carry out the treatment - but for `12000 USD - yikes!
My first question is - do you know of anywhere, or anyone, who is able to offer this type of treatment at a subsidized rate? Or anywhere that is even marginally less expensive?
Secondly, do you know of, or can you recommend any way of going about finding accommodation (which would need to be extremely cheap, or free) for them while they're there?
He would do anything for his doggy, and I'd really like to help them!

Thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Prior to commencing treatment, your neighbor should decide whether the treatment is worthwhile. Is the dog going to live in misery from radiation side effects? The article below seems to say that even with treatment the average survival time is pretty short.
I do not know whether TAMU does this type of treatment, but they are an excellent vet school, it is worth a call.

Nasosinal Tumors | The National Canine Cancer Foundation

1 - 2 of 2 Posts