Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I purchased a doggy backpack for my girl. She is now 9 1/2 months old.
Can I use it for her already with light baggage (like two of these small bottles of water on each side)?

I know that I have to wait with heavy stuff (and work up to it gradually), since her grow plates are probably not fully closed yet (I assume, no x-rays taken), but since her weight fluctuates (49-51/52lbs) I'm not sure if light baggage (not exceeding 1-1 1/2 lbs) is that bad?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would still work it up gradually so that she can get used wearing the backpack by itself because it will feel kind of awkward at first. Start with an empty back pack for a few walks, then add weight incrementally. But 1 to 1 1/2 pounds seems reasonable to start with for a dog her size. The numbers I hear getting tossed around is typically 10-12% of their body weight. As long as she's just walking around and not doing anything that is very high impact, her growth plates should be just fine. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Light luggage like two small bottles of water on each side, it surely can't be bad. But I agree that very important is to work it up gradually. My girl is one-year-old and she is wearing this Harness Dog Backpack without problems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@griffinflames : Thank you! That's what I thought as well and yes we started out empty already and she seemed to have gotten used to it (was a wee bit skeptical at first ;) ).
@Why We Wag : Thanks for the recommendation, I already have a back pack for her, but it looks very very similar to the one you linked.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd say wait though for your puppy to have completely stopped growing? I'm not a vet by any means but it seems like before they can start to carry around excess weight, they should be fully developed. Another thing is if the backpack is empty obviously..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts