Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm known for sleeping through my alarms. It's a terrible habit of mine. :eek: However, when my alarm goes off for awhile and I don't respond, Mazzik has started to wake me up himself. He pounces around the bed and on top of me. Luckily he's only 24 pounds. :p It's as if he's saying, 'Mom! Make that noise stop! It's time to get up!'. I also set my phone alarm sometimes as well and he'll start howling to it with certain songs. I love waking up laughing to him. Or, if it's a day I get to sleep in he'll wake me up and let me know he has to go potty. Once the deed is done we both crawl back into bed and sleep a bit more. :D

Do your dogs have a morning routine where they wake you up?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Even on days I get to actually sleep in, NO SLEEPING IN can happen with Chewy!
-He promptly lets me know that at 6:00 am he's ready for breakfast by sitting at the side of my bed and breathing on my face till my eyes open and are met by the direct gaze of a hungry Lab.
-After breakfast: I try to sneak back to bed and catch a few more winks. He "lets" me do this for a short while before the pacing back and forth between the door, my coat, my shoes, his leash, the door, my coat, my shoes, his leash (you get the picture) indicating that he's now ready for his walk.
-After the walk I try to enjoy some morning coffee and even hope for a few bites to eat. I'm approached shortly there after by a sock/bra/shirt being paraded by me in an attempt to spark a game of "Chase me around the table for an hour please." (I give in, but only for half the time he's like)
- He finally surrenders and flops down on the couch with me and lets out a HEAVY sigh of disapproval as he sinks into a never-long-enough dog nap.

<3

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Luckily I am an early morning person so even though there is really no reason to get up at 6 am, it is habit and although the three little dogs that sleep with me would rather stay in bed, Kris, who is in a crate at night starts letting out little whines at 6 - 6:30 every morning so I get up and let her out. By the time she comes back in I always think I may as well stay up. I never set my alarm any more.

She and the little dogs (who don't go out that early) all come into the kitchen and go back to sleep till almost eight while I have my breakfast, when Kris says it is time to go out and feed the horse. Everybody goes outside then and all but Kris and Susie, come back inside and go back to sleep again.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I usually have to drag Katie out of bed in the morning; however, she is very insistent on going to bed on time.

Starting around 7pm, she stands next to me and stares. If I move, she runs towards the bedroom. If I tell her, "not yet," she sulks a bit and goes back to staring. Once I start brushing my teeth, she races into the bedroom and curls up on my pillow.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Chewy has a similar bedtime routine! Its obvious when he's getting tired and scoots closer and closer to the bedroom.. if he has to lay on the couch and wait for us he lets out this big dog sigh. If he really gets sick of waiting (say if I stay up later then normal) he'll just walk to the bed and tuck himself in. He'll come out a few minutes later to carefully select a toy to take back in there with him. He never really plays with it, just lets it sit next to his pillow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only on weekends. Weekdays, my dogs have clued in that me getting up means I will be leaving for work. So they'll be extra good/quiet/snuggly so I don't leave them.
It's funny, Maz seems to know when I'm going to work too. If I put on my scrubs, he knows mom's going to work. However, if I wear other clothes to the clinic he gets all excited like we're going out. It's so crazy how he knows the difference! I always feel bad to disappoint him. :eek:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know it's time to get up when Lexi gets back on the bed and steals all my blankets, then I get cold. every morning.... always 5-10mins before the alarm goes off... Then she has to follow me INTO the bathroom

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quenya won't wake me up, per se, but she must wake up before me and stare at me waiting for the first sign of my waking up because the second I move or shift on the bed she leaps up and licks my ear, eye or mouth...whatever's closest at the moment.

It reminds me of when I was little and would take naps in PreK, and would get in trouble if I got up before naptime was officially over. I would wait and wait and wait until I noticed my teacher going to turn on the light, signifying the end of naptime. I would leap up and go straight to the toy box that held my favorite toys.

So I picture it as Quenya thinking something along the lines of: "YES, YES, YES, you are AWAKE. We can PLAY now! OUTSIDE NOW?!" In the spazzy "I've been waiting FOREVER!" Kind of way.

Reactions: ShukiAi

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Betsy sleeps in her own bed (for the most part) in a corner of our bedroom, when she jumps on the bed I know the time is around 6am, she snuggles up & goes back to sleep, at about 7:15am she starts licking us & we know it's time to get up :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
When the alarm goes off or it's early early morning and I get up to use the bathroom,she'll think its time to get up.Shell come to the side of my bed and start kissing me.If I'm lucky she won't jump on my and start kissy attack me(big Rott jumping around on bed pinning you down and kissing you-slobber).Thats my cue to get up,plus half awake husband yelling to get her off bed.Then she'll wake the puppy in the playpen and he'll start crying.I better get up to let them outside or it'll never stop.Good thing I'm a morning person.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Koda's an awful alarm clock. She's even gotten used to the construction and drilling sounds. The only time she barks and wakes me up is if someone she doesn't know suddenly enters the house.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm enjoying everyone's stories. It's cool, though sometimes annoying, that dogs seem to have an internal clock. :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm enjoying everyone's stories. It's cool, though sometimes annoying, that dogs seem to have an internal clock. :)
Many years ago, when we first got married, my husband & I had a Springer Spaniel who, 10 minutes before my husband came home from work would sit expectantly on the back of the chair looking out of the window. Hubby didn't have a specific time to come home but somehow Troy knew exactly when this would be!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts