Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went and bought some doggie steps after doing much reading and found out it is BAD for my Doxie to be jumping on and off my "
high" bed. We practiced last night but she just seems so timid going down them I hope this will work out. Does anyone else have the steps, stairs, or ramp for your dog? If so, how long did it take for your baby to master it?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I have these steps for my couch Amazon.com : Pet Gear Easy Step II Extra Wide Pet Stairs, 2-step/for cats and dogs up to 200-pounds, Chocolate : Pet Supplies and a homemade ramp for my bed.

My dog is a Chi x Dach mix whose already had some back trouble along with luxating patella in both knees, so I need to limit his jumping. I choose those steps because they are wide both in length and width. I originally had steps that were not wide in width and he didn't use them correctly, he liked to jump off the top step which defeated the purpose. If the steps you got have a narrow width that might be why your doxie is reluctant to use them.

My boy learned to use both the steps and ramp within a day. I used treats to lure him on and off and after a few tries he basically had it down. Even before the ramp, when I had jury rigged steps for the bed, he only jumped off a time or two since it's very high. The couch was a different matter and he loved nothing more then to run up the steps and then jump off, even now I have to be careful or he'll try and skip the steps and jump off.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had steps but they weren't very sturdy and wobbled a bit. The dogs were hesitant to use them. I don't need them now, Shorty can't jump up on the bed anymore and Nevada passed last year. If I need new steps I'll get a wider step.

Guess I should have actually answered the question. They learned to use the steps pretty quick, going up. But they both would rather jump down, which defeated the purpose.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have steps, but have not been successful in getting my dog to use them. I try to lift her up/down from the bed, but sometimes she beats me to it and I cringe. She, however, does not seem bothered.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Molly (a pug) could never jump upon the bed herself and always needed someone to carry her. We got doggie steps when my mum broke her leg and couldn't get out of bed to lift Molly up. She took to them immediately and always uses them. The only time she jumps off the bed now is if Bandit jumps she gets excited and follows him.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
We found that Samantha would not use steps, if they wobbled at all. It took a set of steps, made of solid cherry wood, the steps are about 3 feet wide, very heavy and solid, and are carpet covered. She used these immediately and has for years now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have steps for our Chivas (now 18 months) and little Tucker (4 1/2 months). Tucker HAS to use the steps to get on and off our bed because he's still little. Chivas sometimes uses them.. sometimes doesn't. Even when he was little it was the same way.

As long as your dog knows they are there they will use them if they are tired or sore. Otherwise, they'll probably just jump. At least that's been my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts