Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think my dog shows me affection by coming to sit by me or on my knee when im upset( I have aspergers) hes always licking me , he always trys to cheer me up by dancing on his back legs, he shares his toys with me so we always play together , so just wondering how do you feel that your dog shows you affection?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
A few years ago I had a severe allergic reaction to some medication, I woke up 24 hours later with my darling cavalier spaniel (sadly no longer with us :() laying by my side. My husband said she hadn't moved the whole time, not even to eat or drink!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few years ago I had a severe allergic reaction to some medication, I woke up 24 hours later with my darling cavalier spaniel (sadly no longer with us :() laying by my side. My husband said she hadn't moved the whole time, not even to eat or drink!!
@JudyG awwwww bless :) your dog was keeping an eye on you till you felt better, awwww what a little sweetie :) hope your feeling better now x

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I mentioned this in another post some time back about being upset and crying one night...and HaHa, my then 2 year old golden retriever, who has mental disabilities, (and who I hadn't had for very long at that point) really surprised me with what he did.

He's actually kind of stingy with his toys, he's a great retriever, but not a very good 'give it upper' lol, he's also almost always wagging his tail and quite a happy guy...forever stuck in a puppy mentality.

Anyway, as I was crying, I didn't really notice the first few toys he brought me, he solemnly would go to his 'toy box' [an old dog bed], and pick up a stuffed toy and bring it over to the chair where I was sitting and put it at my feet, then look at me for a little bit, then turn around and go get another one. By the time I was done crying and he was done offering me up his toys, he had about 9 of his stuffed animals laying at my feet.

I was able to finally reach out and pet him and tell him he was a good boy...at which point he excitedly scattered the stuff toys about the living room :)

Since then, he has done this a few more times in the past few years, when I've been upset about things.

Stormy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned this in another post some time back about being upset and crying one night...and HaHa, my then 2 year old golden retriever, who has mental disabilities, (and who I hadn't had for very long at that point) really surprised me with what he did.

He's actually kind of stingy with his toys, he's a great retriever, but not a very good 'give it upper' lol, he's also almost always wagging his tail and quite a happy guy...forever stuck in a puppy mentality.

Anyway, as I was crying, I didn't really notice the first few toys he brought me, he solemnly would go to his 'toy box' [an old dog bed], and pick up a stuffed toy and bring it over to the chair where I was sitting and put it at my feet, then look at me for a little bit, then turn around and go get another one. By the time I was done crying and he was done offering me up his toys, he had about 9 of his stuffed animals laying at my feet.

I was able to finally reach out and pet him and tell him he was a good boy...at which point he excitedly scattered the stuff toys about the living room :)

Since then, he has done this a few more times in the past few years, when I've been upset about things.

Stormy
awwww that's so sweet :) , just a little curious, what do you mean if you don't mind me asking, you said that your dog has mental disabilities, just wondering how that affects him ? hope you don't mind me asking , because I didn't know dogs could have that x

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
@loopyboo
Thanks for asking about HaHa, and I don't mind talking about him...I probably do it too much...lol. He's one of the funniest, friendliest dogs I've ever owned and I've had a good number of dogs. (I'm 53 years old).

HaHa's head never developed out all the way...it's a bit on the small side, and because if this, his eyes are kind of wonky (his left eye is larger than his right one), his jaw is also not fully developed, it should be a little bit longer than what it is. I always said he has a lovely head for a deer fawn. : )

His mental problems...he's a little slow at learning, but it's not really bad....however he really doesn't have long term memory for the most part. He forgets things really really fast. I can like teach him to sit, and he can learn that, but I would have to tell him to do so every day several times a day. If I forget to tell him for even a day, he'll forget and I would have to start from scratch teaching him to sit again.

He also sometimes forgets about things like art work on the wall, or walking past the same item like a floor fan, or even the back yard porch roof he walks under 4 or 5 times a day. He will suddenly stop...and just look at something, his head bobbing up and down and to the side looking at it as if he had never saw that porch roof before in his life! He'll study it and stretch way out to try to sniff at it, like if it was a floor fan, or a piece of art on the wall.

Anyway, here's some posts that have some photos of him. You can see how his head is oddly shaped. Also one of the posts....no photo but a funny story about him involving a kong he was playing with. He's Always doing stuff like that, that makes me laugh.

most recent photos:
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/hahas-new-toy-hes-obsessed-276161/

This post was started by someone else, but I posted some photos, just scroll down a little to see them.
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/my-first-stupid-dog-271082/

cute kong story:
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/oh-haha-202026/

Also when I first got HaHa he was pretty much a skeleton due to him having food issues...which I figured out and got him to gain weight. This is what he looked like when I got him - you can see he's pretty wispy looking, he was 2 years old then, and the other photo is what he looked like last year as a 3 year old:

Also my favorite video of him (it's about 30 seconds long) He sees a stick in the snow..gets excited about it...but then at the end, doesn't seem to recall what it was he was excited about...lol. You can see him stop as if he was thinking "what was all that about?" then brush it off and head over to my other dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PI9RhK2WE

Anyway, I like I said, I love HaHa, as well as my other dog, Jaya who has her own set of issues brought on by abuse and isolation. But HaHa is a daily laugh for me.

Stormy

Reactions: loopyboo

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@loopyboo
Thanks for asking about HaHa, and I don't mind talking about him...I probably do it too much...lol. He's one of the funniest, friendliest dogs I've ever owned and I've had a good number of dogs. (I'm 53 years old).

HaHa's head never developed out all the way...it's a bit on the small side, and because if this, his eyes are kind of wonky (his left eye is larger than his right one), his jaw is also not fully developed, it should be a little bit longer than what it is. I always said he has a lovely head for a deer fawn. : )

His mental problems...he's a little slow at learning, but it's not really bad....however he really doesn't have long term memory for the most part. He forgets things really really fast. I can like teach him to sit, and he can learn that, but I would have to tell him to do so every day several times a day. If I forget to tell him for even a day, he'll forget and I would have to start from scratch teaching him to sit again.

He also sometimes forgets about things like art work on the wall, or walking past the same item like a floor fan, or even the back yard porch roof he walks under 4 or 5 times a day. He will suddenly stop...and just look at something, his head bobbing up and down and to the side looking at it as if he had never saw that porch roof before in his life! He'll study it and stretch way out to try to sniff at it, like if it was a floor fan, or a piece of art on the wall.

Anyway, here's some posts that have some photos of him. You can see how his head is oddly shaped. Also one of the posts....no photo but a funny story about him involving a kong he was playing with. He's Always doing stuff like that, that makes me laugh.

most recent photos:
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/hahas-new-toy-hes-obsessed-276161/

This post was started by someone else, but I posted some photos, just scroll down a little to see them.
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/my-first-stupid-dog-271082/

cute kong story:
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/oh-haha-202026/

Also when I first got HaHa he was pretty much a skeleton due to him having food issues...which I figured out and got him to gain weight. This is what he looked like when I got him - you can see he's pretty wispy looking, he was 2 years old then, and the other photo is what he looked like last year as a 3 year old:

Also my favorite video of him (it's about 30 seconds long) He sees a stick in the snow..gets excited about it...but then at the end, doesn't seem to recall what it was he was excited about...lol. You can see him stop as if he was thinking "what was all that about?" then brush it off and head over to my other dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PI9RhK2WE

Anyway, I like I said, I love HaHa, as well as my other dog, Jaya who has her own set of issues brought on by abuse and isolation. But HaHa is a daily laugh for me.

Stormy
awww hes beautiful , just beautiful :) ive seen the thread of hahas new toy he looks so happy with his new cat toy :), and I honestly had no clue about condition, he just looks like a happy dog to me , with the most beautiful eyes, hes got very expressive eyes, you could just look them an seem to know what hes thinking heehee and a cheeky doggie smile :), awww give him a hug from me :) ,hes just stunning , an jayas a beautiful girl too hope shes doing well too, an getting over any fears she has because of her history x

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@StormyPeak hope you don't mind me asking questions again, but just wondering why HaHa is called HaHa , was it his name when you got him? or did you name him HaHa? if so what is its meaning?

my dog is called Harley because I have a slight obsession with Harley quinn:D

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I always think of the motor bike when I see the name Harley...lol.

HaHa is called HaHa for 3 reasons.

1st.. I love Korean t.v. and one of the more famous entertainers in that country is a singer/comedian-variety show entertainer, a man called Ha Dong Hoon, hardly anyone calls him that though, he known mostly as "HaHa"
HaHa is my favorite entertainer (from any country) he's so funny! His reputation is that he's not book smart, but he's clever in other ways like solving riddles, and creative dialog with guests etc.

2nd...Whenever I use to play with any of my dogs, I would steal their toy and tease them by saying "Haha, I got your toy!!!!"

3rd...HaHa's original name was Ruger (which is also a firearms brand - and he certainly didn't remind me of a deadly weapon...lol). When I saw how silly this dog was, and how much he made me laugh, the name HaHa seemed like a perfect fit for him.

As I said, it's a daily thing (more than several times a day usually) where HaHa has me laughing out loud with his antics.

I love hearing stories about how dogs do unusual things to show they care for their owners, like staying by the side of someone who is sick, or licking at a person's hands when they sense a person is stressed or feeling down. My dad had a dog that would run out and wait in the driveway for him about 20 minutes before my dad would usually get home from work. It didn't matter what the weather was like either...that dog would be out there waiting.

Things like that just make dogs more endearing, it's hard for me to understand how some people just dislike dogs.

Stormy

Reactions: loopyboo

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always think of the motor bike when I see the name Harley...lol.

HaHa is called HaHa for 3 reasons.

1st.. I love Korean t.v. and one of the more famous entertainers in that country is a singer/comedian-variety show entertainer, a man called Ha Dong Hoon, hardly anyone calls him that though, he known mostly as "HaHa"
HaHa is my favorite entertainer (from any country) he's so funny! His reputation is that he's not book smart, but he's clever in other ways like solving riddles, and creative dialog with guests etc.

2nd...Whenever I use to play with any of my dogs, I would steal their toy and tease them by saying "Haha, I got your toy!!!!"

3rd...HaHa's original name was Ruger (which is also a firearms brand - and he certainly didn't remind me of a deadly weapon...lol). When I saw how silly this dog was, and how much he made me laugh, the name HaHa seemed like a perfect fit for him.

As I said, it's a daily thing (more than several times a day usually) where HaHa has me laughing out loud with his antics.

I love hearing stories about how dogs do unusual things to show they care for their owners, like staying by the side of someone who is sick, or licking at a person's hands when they sense a person is stressed or feeling down. My dad had a dog that would run out and wait in the driveway for him about 20 minutes before my dad would usually get home from work. It didn't matter what the weather was like either...that dog would be out there waiting.

Things like that just make dogs more endearing, it's hard for me to understand how some people just dislike dogs.

Stormy
Aw ww that's sweet :) , never heard of the Korean bloke will have to look him up lol, I know my brother never liked dogs, but he loves Harley lol, and now he has a lil dog of his own called Archie lol, not poking fun at all I promise :) , but I do wonder do people think your having giggling fits when you recall HaHa ? "haha come here haha " sorry:eek: but it was just something I was thinking before an I just got the giggles , I am sorry but silly things just go through my head sometimes , hope I don't upset you by saying that :eek: xx

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I use to get a lot more looks when back in the 1970s I had a dog I called Hey You.

When I was about 15 years old, I was home alone, one time...with my 2 dogs, Sampson and Hey You. I answered the door one late afternoon thinking it was a friend who was coming over, but it turned out to be a door-to-door salesman...who pretty quickly asked if I was home alone. (freaky question...now that I think about it, but back then, something in me responded to it too, as usually door to door types would just ask to speak to my mom or dad).

I ended up saying what my dad told me to do in a case like this. I lied to him and told him my dad was sleeping on the sofa and I wasn't going to wake him up. The guy was real quiet for a long moment as if trying to make up his mind about something He just threw out some weird vibes, and even at the age I was, I just got a different sensation, one of fear as he just didn't act like other salesmen I had dealt with.

That door didn't have a screen door on it and I can remember still how I had been wishing there was one that could have stayed locked while I talked to the man with at least some kind of barrier between us.

Anyway without a smile or good bye...he just suddenly turned to leave, and Hey You for some reason, shot out the door of the house and began dancing around him, growling and snapping in the air at him. He started to kick at her. I was shocked my dog did what she did and yelled "Hey You! Stop That!"

The guy froze mid-kick.. LOL.

He thought I was yelling at him for kicking at my dog. :p
I called Hey You back to the house - and told the man, that Hey You was my dog's name, and apologized for her outburst. He looked like he wanted to kill my dog, he was angry...but didn't say anything...just nodded and kept walking away.

I don't know if Hey You picked up on the fact that I was feeling afraid, or just came to her own conclusion that something wasn't right about him. He was the only person in her whole life where she ever acted violently towards.

I guess in a way that story also falls under the 'dog affection' post here. That Hey You went totally out of character in going after someone she thought of as a threat to protect me. : )

With HaHa and his name...
I've had HaHa at the vets office and such, and people will asked his name.
Little kids really seem to get a kick out of HaHa's name and they giggle when they hear it, and the adults will usually smile or laugh too. I did have one person say, 'that's a silly name!' I responded with 'Well, he's a silly dog, so it all works out"

Stormy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use to get a lot more looks when back in the 1970s I had a dog I called Hey You.

When I was about 15 years old, I was home alone, one time...with my 2 dogs, Sampson and Hey You. I answered the door one late afternoon thinking it was a friend who was coming over, but it turned out to be a door-to-door salesman...who pretty quickly asked if I was home alone. (freaky question...now that I think about it, but back then, something in me responded to it too, as usually door to door types would just ask to speak to my mom or dad).

I ended up saying what my dad told me to do in a case like this. I lied to him and told him my dad was sleeping on the sofa and I wasn't going to wake him up. The guy was real quiet for a long moment as if trying to make up his mind about something He just threw out some weird vibes, and even at the age I was, I just got a different sensation, one of fear as he just didn't act like other salesmen I had dealt with.

That door didn't have a screen door on it and I can remember still how I had been wishing there was one that could have stayed locked while I talked to the man with at least some kind of barrier between us.

Anyway without a smile or good bye...he just suddenly turned to leave, and Hey You for some reason, shot out the door of the house and began dancing around him, growling and snapping in the air at him. He started to kick at her. I was shocked my dog did what she did and yelled "Hey You! Stop That!"

The guy froze mid-kick.. LOL.

He thought I was yelling at him for kicking at my dog. :p
I called Hey You back to the house - and told the man, that Hey You was my dog's name, and apologized for her outburst. He looked like he wanted to kill my dog, he was angry...but didn't say anything...just nodded and kept walking away.

I don't know if Hey You picked up on the fact that I was feeling afraid, or just came to her own conclusion that something wasn't right about him. He was the only person in her whole life where she ever acted violently towards.

I guess in a way that story also falls under the 'dog affection' post here. That Hey You went totally out of character in going after someone she thought of as a threat to protect me. : )

With HaHa and his name...
I've had HaHa at the vets office and such, and people will asked his name.
Little kids really seem to get a kick out of HaHa's name and they giggle when they hear it, and the adults will usually smile or laugh too. I did have one person say, 'that's a silly name!' I responded with 'Well, he's a silly dog, so it all works out"

Stormy
Hey you oooooh sounds like someone's a pink floyd fan to call their dog that:D, that was good of her protecting you from that wierd salesman ,HaHa suits his name :) , like I said I wasn't poking fun was just asking a question about him , dogs are funny little things :), my holiday friends dog tried to protect me once, me and my dad were sharing a caravan me dad came over to say good night and mo the dog who was on my bed went crazy started growling at him lol , I found it funny because it wasn't even my dog and it was trying to protect me I guess she must of liked me lol anyway give HaHa a cuddle from me and hope you and haha an jaya have a good day today :) x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts