Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dogs may eat grass for a number of reasons.
Some dogs simply like a bit of nature's 'salad' in their diet, my golden retriever was like a cow in spring, loved to munch on new grass.
Some dogs eat it to help settle an upset stomach, others will eat it to help them purge (throw up) whatever they have eaten that has made them feel unwell.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've always taken it as they are trying to make themselves throw up.
I think that is a myth. Although sometimes dogs throw up after eating grass, they probably ate it because they were not feeling well in the first place. I have known several dogs who were simply "grazers" - in other words they just liked to eat grass. With a grass eater, though, you always have to be careful not to let them eat the grass in a public park or an any other area where the grass may have been sprayed with chemicals of any kind, whether fertilizer or insecticides or weed killer or anything else.

·
Registered
Franklin
47 Posts
For the grass-eating dogs I've had, I observed two modes.

There was the casual grazing mode - harmless unless the grass has been treated with chemical weed or insect controls.

Then there's the John Deer Tractor mode - when a dog chows down like it's his life's work and you don't dare let him in the house for the next four hours. He's likely gonna hurl, whether he wants to or not.

The former is just pleasurable for whatever reason. The later usually means there's something unpleasant in his tummy and he'd rather eat a whole lotta grass than have you use a turkey baster to squirt hydrogen peroxide down his throat.

And don't ever squirt hydrogen peroxide down a dog's throat unless a vet or poison control center has advised you to.

Edit: And Madra Anamchara beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts