Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a ~50 lb German Shepherd mix.

The boy likes to jump up on us and put his paws on our chest. Last two days we've noticed him yelp more than once while doing this. These are clearly cries of pain and I haven't seen him make the noise in any other activity.

We have seen no obvious injuries to him recently. Eating, sleeping, etc habits are all normal. I've given him a thorough check—pressing and examining his paws, putting pressure on all his legs, putting pressure on his stomach, all over his body. None of this seems to yield any reaction—it's only when he jumps up that he lets out this yelp.

Any thoughts?

Appreciate it,

Will

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
German shepherds especially have issues with their back, spine, hips, and disc plates. I’m wondering if it’s causing pangs when he stands upright! I’d get him in for an evaluation with a vet and personally I’d request x rays.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yes you need to have your Vet evaluate him, probably X-rays, perhaps an MRI, depending on what X-rays show. A dogs spine is not designed to support him in an upright position. As cute as it is when they get up on their rear legs, it is hard on their spinal structure, even if its healthy. If there is any kind of defect, collapsed or ruptured disc, alignment issues or????, its just that much more strain on their spine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts