Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I have a question regarding my 7 year old morkie -

Since I picked her up from the groomer on Wednesday, she has been yelping randomly as if she's hurting. I'd say that this has been occurring three to four times a day. However, I have felt around her body and she does not react. She also goes about her daily routine normally - she runs up and down the stairs at full speed, plays, eats all of her food, and jumps on the bed and couches with ease. :ponder:

After observing her for 24 hours, I decided to bring her to the vet and after a full physical examination (tested all of her paws and legs, checked her neck for cervical spine issues and inspected her anal glands, ears, eyes and mouth), he found nothing wrong with her. He did however give her a cortisone shot and prescribed some Rimadyl. I was instructed to give her her first pill tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes.

I suppose my question is - has anyone experienced this with their beloved companion? I'm not TOO concerned given that she is going about her day normally, but I am curious as to what may be going on. Could it also be razor burns from the grooming?

FYI - I'm new here, so I look forward to getting to know each and every one of you!

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

When Zody, Chi x Dach, did that the vet diagnosed a sprained back. His symptoms were a bit of butt scooting, hiding, not wanting to play as much, and random yelping, but other then that he acted like he was fine. Ran around, walked fine, would get on the couch and jump down, eating and drinking normal, nothing to indicate any real problem. The vet pressed on his abdomen and Zody immediately would tense up, x-rays did not show any spine or neck problems, so he decided on a sprained back, he prescribed rest, no jumping, limited walks, no playing for 4 days, gave him a shot to help with pain, and sent me home with some muscle relaxers for him.

Hopefully whatever is going on with your girl she feels better fast!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I had a dog named Hey You, and one year she did something to her neck...and she would be just fine...then suddenly let out almost a scream of pain...and run, with her head turned slightly to the left. The first time she did it, it freaked me out as I had no idea why she went from just trotting along with her tail wagging to behaving like she just was being tortured by a pain that I couldn't find a source for...as by the time I got to her the event passed and she seemed fine. I thought, maybe she stepped on something...but no wounds and no limp and she seemed fine and remained that way...so again, I thought..well maybe she just stepped on something that hurt but didn't do any damage.

Then a week later, it happened again...but this time, I could see she had her neck/head held a little low and turned to the left a bit.

I took her to the vets and he gave her a muscle relaxer injection, took an x ray and we could see her neck was ok, but a little 'jammed' up in one area. While Hey You was all relaxed, he moved her head around and felt a small 'pop' and it was easy to see that Hey You...even under the relaxed state she was in, suddenly felt a lot less 'stiff' The vet said she had a pinched nerve in her neck and it seemed that not much could be done except hope it would unpinch if the dog moved her head in such away to undue the jammed bone that was causing it. When the drug wore off, she was fine.

But for a few years after that she would sometimes just move wrong or jar her neck while jumping off the sofa or something and yelp... most of the time it took only a few minutes before she did move her head in a way that seemed to 'pop' things back in place and take the pressure off that nerve.

A couple of times, I had to hold her, and pet her and get her to relax with a very very gentle massage and then she would turn her head and I could feel the itty bitty pop and feel the tension just leave her neck and shoulder area. After about 4 years, she kind of quit having issues with it. ?Maybe going for some time without it going 'out' helped the muscles around that weak spot, and kept the bone from shifting enough to pinch the nerve.

Hopefully, your vet can narrow down your dog's problem and it will be something that will heal on it's own.

Stormy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!

When Zody, Chi x Dach, did that the vet diagnosed a sprained back. His symptoms were a bit of butt scooting, hiding, not wanting to play as much, and random yelping, but other then that he acted like he was fine. Ran around, walked fine, would get on the couch and jump down, eating and drinking normal, nothing to indicate any real problem. The vet pressed on his abdomen and Zody immediately would tense up, x-rays did not show any spine or neck problems, so he decided on a sprained back, he prescribed rest, no jumping, limited walks, no playing for 4 days, gave him a shot to help with pain, and sent me home with some muscle relaxers for him.

Hopefully whatever is going on with your girl she feels better fast!
Yeah, Zody's experience sounds similar to Coco's (my girl - didn't name her, btw lol). However, Coco had no issue with her abdomen.

I gave her some Rimadyl this morning and she hasn't yelped all day. Hoping that her little pain passes soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a dog named Hey You, and one year she did something to her neck...and she would be just fine...then suddenly let out almost a scream of pain...and run, with her head turned slightly to the left. The first time she did it, it freaked me out as I had no idea why she went from just trotting along with her tail wagging to behaving like she just was being tortured by a pain that I couldn't find a source for...as by the time I got to her the event passed and she seemed fine. I thought, maybe she stepped on something...but no wounds and no limp and she seemed fine and remained that way...so again, I thought..well maybe she just stepped on something that hurt but didn't do any damage.

Then a week later, it happened again...but this time, I could see she had her neck/head held a little low and turned to the left a bit.

I took her to the vets and he gave her a muscle relaxer injection, took an x ray and we could see her neck was ok, but a little 'jammed' up in one area. While Hey You was all relaxed, he moved her head around and felt a small 'pop' and it was easy to see that Hey You...even under the relaxed state she was in, suddenly felt a lot less 'stiff' The vet said she had a pinched nerve in her neck and it seemed that not much could be done except hope it would unpinch if the dog moved her head in such away to undue the jammed bone that was causing it. When the drug wore off, she was fine.

But for a few years after that she would sometimes just move wrong or jar her neck while jumping off the sofa or something and yelp... most of the time it took only a few minutes before she did move her head in a way that seemed to 'pop' things back in place and take the pressure off that nerve.

A couple of times, I had to hold her, and pet her and get her to relax with a very very gentle massage and then she would turn her head and I could feel the itty bitty pop and feel the tension just leave her neck and shoulder area. After about 4 years, she kind of quit having issues with it. ?Maybe going for some time without it going 'out' helped the muscles around that weak spot, and kept the bone from shifting enough to pinch the nerve.

Hopefully, your vet can narrow down your dog's problem and it will be something that will heal on it's own.

Stormy
Hmm, Coco never ran after she yelped. She would just look at me and lifted her little paw up for a couple of seconds, then she would act normally again. Fortunately, she hasn't yelped all day today. Perhaps it'll pass soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts