Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have a problem.

I have a 10-month-old, female Shih-tzu/Poodle named Bonbon. Today, I decided to take her out for a walk for the first time, and it did not turn out very well. Today was her first time out of the house on her own feet. The previous times have been on car rides with her head sticking outside the window.

Back to the part about the walk not turning out well, she won't walk with me. When I took her outside, she was sniffing the ground a lot, but each time I held the leash and attempted to move forward, she would bite the leash while resisting me. Sometimes, she would even lie on her stomach and plant herself on the ground as if to say, "I don't wanna," like a pouting child.

I have a feeling I rushed into it, though. Her first time actually outside as opposed to being in the car, and there I was, expecting her to just walk calmy alongside me like it was nothing. I feel like my mistake was that I expected too much of her.

That's what I think, but I want to know what you people think. I'm a first-timer at this dog ownership stuff, and I'd like to read the input of those with more experience.

Thank you for reading. Hoping for some good advice.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well she isn't used to it, so it's normal that a puppy tries to play with the leash ir stop, because she's confused. don'T make the mistake and pull er along with the leash. She should not get usewd to the feeling of the leash being in tension.
did you train leash-walking inside the house before?

just train it at a very boring place... train it every day, several times but only for a few minutes.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have a feeling I rushed into it, though. Her first time actually outside as opposed to being in the car, and there I was, expecting her to just walk calmy alongside me like it was nothing. I feel like my mistake was that I expected too much of her.

That's what I think, but I want to know what you people think. I'm a first-timer at this dog ownership stuff, and I'd like to read the input of those with more experience.

Thank you for reading. Hoping for some good advice.
I would get a harness then the leash will be out of reach. Walking takes training this may help. Keep in mind you are out there for the dog so let her sniff and smell to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
How long have you owned her? If you recently got her, what is her background, if you know it? If you've owned her since she was a young pup, why is this her first walk outside?

Sounds like she may be overwhelmed. Dogs don't pout. A dog that is frightened shuts down and some refuse to move. It's hard to say without more info but if you suspect this is fear related, don't force her to walk. Do you know how to read a dog's body language to assess whether she's fearful or not?

More info and background would help offer appropriate advice.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Have you tried walking her on leash in the house? What's she like on the leash when she is not outside?

Some dogs are afraid to be outside if they have minimal exposure to the outdoors, and some are a step further back than that: they are actually afraid of the leash itself!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts