Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to train my dog to do number one and two in the backyard. Well here we are on day two of him not doing number two in the backyard and what do I find hidden upstairs?

3 DAGGUM PILES and a nice fresh spot of pee!!!!

I was so angry. I think the dog is a little afraid of me now (he rolled over exposing his belly to me when I blew up). But I apologized to him shortly there after at his level.

So, how do you get a dog to use the bathroom in the backyard instead of on walks in other peoples yards?

He's a hair over a year old and still a pup.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi BerbardChase and welcome to the Dog Forum!
You need to start housebreaking your dog just as you would from puppyhood. This means that he goes out every 30 mins to and hour. After he eats, wakes up, plays, drinks, naps.
Also, I would recommend crating training him. He will not go potty in his crate. Or if you can't crate him, keep him in a small confined area where he will eat and sleep until he can be trusted to give you a "tell" or indication that he needs to go outside.
Once he is outside, watch him and when he goes potty give him praise. If he is outside and does not go then when he comes back in doors, he goes in his crate or his sleeping area.
Hope his helps you out! We also have some great advise in the puppes section of our board!
Best of luck to you!
GG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts