Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 6 month old puppy from a shelter this Friday on May 1st and took him back to my parents house with me in Elgin where he was supposed to stay. At this house, he would poop and pee outside. He only had one accident (bowel movement) inside in the two days he was there. However, something came up and I had to bring the dog with me to my house in a different city, San Marcos, for this week. There are currently two other dogs living at this house. My dog, Sawyer, gets along with them great. However, since he has been at this new house, he WILL NOT pee outside. The last three days i have spent hours outside with him trying to get him to pee. I've spent up to three continuous hours outside with him and not a single drop, even though he used the restroom outside at the other house with no problems or prompting. I have tried walking him around the yard on a least, I have also tried letting him roam our yard freely. Neither works. Since he will have bowel movements outside, that is the first area i walk him too hoping that he will pee there also, but I've had no luck. Since this house is shared by two other dogs, I think its a territory issue. So i have tried bringing him to the front yard where the other two dogs do not go, as well as walks around the neighborhood and nothing. Today my pup has been outside for nearly four hours straight (mixture of free roam, leash, and walks around the neighborhood) and he still will not go outside. However, as soon as I let him in, he will normally pee on the carpet. What can i do to make him urinate outside? And yes, when he pees on the carpet I clean it will. His scent is gone and he pees in a new place inside every time. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

More about Sawyer:
Hes about 6 months old according to the shelter
He was never potty trained
He is a Labrador Retriever mix and looks like he also has some German Shephard in him as well.
He just lost his first canine tooth today.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You're wasting your time staying outside for hours and hours. I think he doesn't have the confidence to pee in the other dogs' territory or even away from home. I've had this with a new puppy.

You could try putting some of his pee (from the house) in to the back or front yard to make him think he'd toileted there before. In the house put him in a crate or an xpen, or keep him on a leash so he can't carry on peeing in the house.

What cleaner do you use on the carpet?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts