Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2yr old female terrier mix.
We rescued her 7 months ago.

Our dog used to let my husband let it outside.
Now it doesn’t, for the last month.
She only lets me let her outside.
Doesn’t matter if I am home or not, she will not let him let her outside.

Our dog is always excited for him to take her for walks and is always looking to get petted and scratched by him. In the morning, she goes looking for him after she wakes up.

He has tried to lure her out with a treat, but she is not interested in it.
But it will take a treat any other time, but if our dog knows he is trying to lure her outside with the treat, she wants nothing to do with it.

Also - She only eats when I am home, he can feed her, but only eats when I am home. She’ll take treats from him when I am away, but not her regular food from dog bowl.

Thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
They get some strange ideas sometimes. I wonder if something may have happened when she was out with your husband. He may not even have noticed (it could have been a perfectly normal thing that for some reason she took exception to).

Can you go out together, then you return to the house leaving your husband and dog to continue the walk by themselves?

And dogs won't starve themselves (unless there is a serious medical problem) so unless you are really concerned I'd just let her leave her food until you get home. You could try giving her food from an interactive toy but I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
598 Posts
So is she still excited to go on walks with him but won’t let him take her outside? Is letting her outside and going for walks the same thing or two different things?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"So is she still excited to go on walks with him but won’t let him take her outside? Is letting her outside and going for walks the same thing or two different things?"

Our dog lets my husband take her for walks out the front door, whether I am home or not.
Our dog will not let my husband out the back door so she can go to the bathroom. Even when I am home.
She only lets me open the door.

Things we are working on or have tried.
-- I have let her outside, follow her outside, then my husband comes out later and tries to give her treats, but she still acts scared.
We have done this twice, 1st time it took her 20 mins to take the treat, 2nd time she didn't take the treat. He either sits on the patio or a stool to get down lower to her.
We plan on continuing trying this
-- Last night, he sat by the back door with a treat, it took her about 20 mins to take the treat from her. - We plan on trying that again.
-- He has tried walking her from the front to the back yard, but that doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
That clarifies a few things. I still wonder if something scared her when he was out there with her. A friend's dog, who was asleep under a coffee table woke and banged her head on the underside, but ”blamed” the ceiling fan and always growled at it - they make associations with the wrong things sometimes.

I wouldn't try to have him offer treats like that. She sounds like she will want the treat but be scared to get it from him, and that's a very conflicted situation to put her in. If she were mine, I'd have you take her out and let your husband just come and go from the house to the garden, ignoring her. After a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, I'd have him outside with her and toss the treat into the house for her. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it does work to help break the negative association without pushing her too far from her safety levels to have to take it from him.

·
Registered
598 Posts
What happens if he tries to take her outside on a lead to the backyard? Will she still refuse?

I think it’s important that you make sure to not act weird around it, don’t act strange or hesitate because you expect a reaction from her. She will pick up on this and this will reinforce her that it something wrong.

Regarding your husbands giving her treats or not I guess you can see it in different ways. I understand what Joanne means and it’s perfectly fine to follow that advice. But for me personally I can se advantages with doing it this way. It encourages (without forcing) the dog to come out of their comfort zone, to realize that this thing isn’t scary or dangerous at all. But you still need to be cautious to not put her in too much conflict or stress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"What happens if he tries to take her outside on a lead to the backyard? Will she still refuse? "

Lead? I am assuming that is the Swedish term for leash.

If he puts the leash on, and goes towards the back door, she freezes and gets scared.

Update
My husband went outside after I let the dog out, he showed showed our dog a treat, dropped it on the patio and then walked around the yard ignoring her - the dog ate the treat.
My husband also sat on the floor by the back door, looking at his phone and our dog came up to him looking for a scratch from him. He also got up went to get a treat, sat back by the door and she took the treat from him

·
Registered
598 Posts
"What happens if he tries to take her outside on a lead to the backyard? Will she still refuse? "

Lead? I am assuming that is the Swedish term for leash.

If he puts the leash on, and goes towards the back door, she freezes and gets scared.

Update
My husband went outside after I let the dog out, he showed showed our dog a treat, dropped it on the patio and then walked around the yard ignoring her - the dog ate the treat.
My husband also sat on the floor by the back door, looking at his phone and our dog came up to him looking for a scratch from him. He also got up went to get a treat, sat back by the door and she took the treat from him
Yes I meant leash, as you can tell english isn’t my first language so sometimes my writing doesn’t make much sense haha :)

Okay it sounds like you’re making good progress!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts