Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's freezing cold here in the mid-west and has been for a bit! This is why I cannot understand why my dog hasn't grown her winter coat yet. She's a spayed female staghound (greyhound mixed with ??), somewhere between 1 and 3 years old, ~55lb. When I got her in late April last year she had a long wire-y hair with a fine undercoat, and most of the hair shed as summer came. She was left with a very thin greyhound-like hair for the summer, and in the last two months only grew a very small amount of the long hair back between her shoulders.

I can't imagine what she has is much better than wearing a t-shirt out in the snow, so I do have her protected from the chill with a doggie-onsie outfit while she's outdoors.

She eats good food, plays well, acts fine, has no bald-spots, etc. She shows no signs of being ill, just cold! Should I be concerned about her coat not coming back in?

·
Registered
884 Posts
My dog is from the Caribbean, he arrived in January with zero undercoat, flat coat, grew a good undercoat in winter plus longer fringes, lost it all by September and didn't start growing a new one until a severe cold snap 3 weeks ago.
It takes time to grow your own coat, and if she's always nice and warm, she won't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts